Installing Knee Braces

In the instructions for knee bracing I have found the following which I don't quite understand exactly how to do or how this would even work since there are no pictures of this. Any suggestions?

"You might also glue a small piece of half-round molding under the foam to keep your knee from accidentally slipping into the cockpit while it "pulls up on the deck."

Mike

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Installing Knee Braces

The molding would go along the edge of the cockpit opening to give your knee something to press against sideways. As you learn to use a high-performance boat you will learn to use your knees to steer and to control rolling motions - both when you want to roll and when you don't. -Wes

Wes,

I'm familiar with edging since I have seven years experience, but I've always used foam only for knee braces. I don't see where to put this half-round molding, nor do I see what it would do in addition to the foam.

Mike

I don't understand as well :)

love to have a picture of bracing installation

To me 'under the foam' means the foam is glued over the molding which itself is glued along the bottom edge of the cockpit opening.

This would give the same effect as concave pads.

In my boats I have gone minimalist. I just glued chunks of minicel foam about a 1/2"  thick to the under side of the deck where my knees hit with Weldbond adhesive. Some folks carve them into a wedge shape, but I have not. I just trim them flush with the cockpit opening. This works just fine for my boney knees.

Dan

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.