Trying not to epoxy the stiches

I just finished stiching and am getting ready to epoxy all the seams. Is it ok to leave the epoxy about 1/2"-3/4\" shy of each stitch, let cure, remove the stiches and then fill in the missing spaces with epoxy later?

9 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Trying not to epoxy the stiches

Go to a dollar store and buy some plastic ketchup squirters. Make sure there are no twists, bulges or dimples that need to be fixed. It is alot easier now. Mix your epoxy with wood flour until it looks like runny mustard. As you stated in your post leave about 1/2 inch on either side of the stitches. It is easier to make nice looking fillets if you don't run over the wires. We dropped one of our boats the next morning after tacking, and it held just fine. It will take a few batches of epoxy so having more than one squiter is helpful. If you remove the epoxy with needle nose pliers before it gets rockhard you can reuse the squirters.

It is also quite ok to leave the wire stitches in. But you will need to use a wider and deeper fillet on the flatter portions to cover the wires. No worries, that's likely to be on the keel joint near mid-ship where the extra epoxy strength is of value. Dave

I left a space then epoxied later. But if you epoxy over a wire and it cures,untwist it then heat it with a lighter for a few seconds. The wires pull out easily.

I use a soldering iron to heat the wires that get caught in the epoxy. Much less likely to char the wood than a lighter. -Wes

Just curious as to why the ketchup squirters rather than the syringes that come with the kit.

I use putty knives and just put some smears between the wires. They're plenty strong to hold the boat together until the wires are pulled and they're easy to fillet over. (click on pictures to enlarge). Since the smears are between the wires, no need to break them loose from any epoxy.

Laszlo

I used the ketchup squirters at first because they were cheaper than the syringes, building from plans. But I found that in use I could mix a whole batch of epoxy and tack up a half of a boat before I needed to reload. So 2 batches and I was done. Later on I needed to do some smaller work and I used some syringes that I bought. It was alot messier to load the syringes, and would have to be loaded alot more.

I also found that the supplied srynges tend to stick & not work smoothly after reloading a few times. I personally just use a small paintbrush & dab it in. There is no need to cover every bit of the joint with epoxy-you may actually be surprised at how well smal tack welds hold.

For tacking seams, I found that unthickened epoxy works fine.  I apply just enough to fill the seam by capillary action and no more.  Some spots take a couple of passes.  I use a transfer pipet for this, i.e. a one piece polyethylene eyedropper. They cost pennies when purchased by the case from scientific supply houses but are otherwise hard to find in smaller lots.  One source that will sell to individuals is Carolina Supply:  http://www.carolina.com/product/equipment+and+supplies/measuring+equipment/pipets/microchemistry+pipets%2C+micro-tip%2C+overall+length+5+3-4%22%2C+capacity+5.0+ml%2C+pack+100.do?sortby=bestSellers

ClC might want to consider stocking these.  They come in a huge variety. 

I am still trying to discover some use for the left over epoxy slugs that harden up in pipets after use.  They look like they should be good for something. 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.