Staining a Kaholo

Im new to wood staining and want to stain my Kaholo with a patter using both light and dark stains. How is this acheived with out bleeding the satins together. I ve read online to tape off patter or design and them take a razor knife and score the edge and this prevent the two from mixing. Anyone have any good ideas who want to share?

Thanks and cheers

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Staining a Kaholo

Buhla, I can't help with the bleeding question but I have done a little staining on Okume that may be of interest. I wanted to avoid the contrast of the raw Okume against the darker Sapele on my WD12 and used water based stain with good results. I opted against the wood conditioner before the stain and used Minwax Express. This stuff has nothing in common with oil based stain, glad I spent some time experimenting.

I would play around with frog tape as a way to keep the colors separate and save the scoring as a last result. Cutting the face veneer then adding a water based product may raise some of the grain. ( again, no experience here just speculating.) I can tell you the colors do work well together, I used a walnut for base then went over it with mahogany for the red tint.The second coat does require more time to dry and tends to lay on the surface without penetrating the grain. This may be an advantage for you.

Do you need a razor sharp separation of color? Most folks are going to see the result from several feet.

Completly unrelated I found this online and thought the colors might be fun to play with someday. In case you're interested: Transtint

Sorry about the link, I guess you'll have to copy/paste:

http://www.veneersupplies.com/categories/Veneering__Supplies/Veneer__Dye__%26__Stains/

I wanted the same effect. what I did was paint a very thin black pinstripe and stained to that, worked perfect

With guitars, if you need an even stain and need it not to bleed, you seal first.  That prevents the wood from wicking the stain

In wood turning, you can burn a line in the wood (using a wire) which will prevent stain bleeding into adjacent areas of the turning. I suspect it does the same thing as seeling the wood as described bye Celeste. Thanks for that tip.

Michael

Thanks for the great ideas and keep them coming people, this noob appreciates it!

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.