KAHOLO BREATHER

Just an observation. I know everything I read says to cut the hole for a deck plate or drill the hole for the breather after the finish is applied. This makes sense.

When I put my Kaholo together it was much cooler in the garage. Today I was wiping it down getting ready to apply the finish. I noticed what looked like some bulge between stringers.

So I drilled a hole in the final location of my Deck plate.

Air hissed out of that hole for 30 plus seconds!!

Its only 70 out, I cant imagine the pressure sitting on a beach all day.

So I think if you should at least drill a pilot hole in the location of your deck plate or breather. Still wont interfere with finish and will let the board breathe.

David

David

12 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: KAHOLO BREATHER

Good idea.   Ultimately do you plan to just install deck plate or also the breather tube?   I skipped the tube and installed the plate.   Trying to decide if I just want to drill a hole in the plate cover and call it good.   I don't care for the look of that breather tube.   But if I forget to open that plate now and then....it won't do me much good.

I am putting in a deck plate. I am leaning towards a small holw in the deck plate.

I really dont like the look of the breather tube. But it is now very clear to me that it must be a solution that doesnt depend on me loosening and tightening!!

David

Yes.   I have heard of people who drill a hole in the plate and then secure some sort of sponge to the under side of the plate cover so that if a small amount of water was to get in the hole, that it would get stuck in the sponge and not get into the boat cavity.    I would think it hard for much water volume to be able to enter that hole but who knows?

About two weeks ago, there was a thread about a vent/leash pulg posted by lucabrasi.  Has anyone tried one?  I beleve that the url is

http://greenlightsurfsupply.com/ventedleashplug.aspx

If it works, it looks like a more elegent solution than the breather in the kit or a deck plate.

Regards,  Mike

The Goretex vent/leash plug is neat, but the more savvy than me folks say the Kaholo has a LOT of volume and you would need several Goretex breathers to get the job done. They are normallybused to breath a foam core board which doesn't have a lot of air volume. 

I usewd a CLC style breather - tad ugly but no one seems to notice.

I'm putting in a deck plate and was thinking of cutting 2 2" diameter holes in the deckplate and covering them with Goretex. That's a pretty big area of breathable fabric, I'd think it would move just as much air as the fairly narrow breather tube. 

I plan to use two of the Goretex vent plugs in my Kaholo 12-6.  Just put varnish coat number five on her today.  If it looks good when dry I will epoxy these in tomorrow!

I built a Kaholo and fashioned a breather from teh top of a sports drink bottle - works quite well and elegant if I do say so.  Twist up to release and down to seal.  Placed it just behind the sup carry handle I installed mid deck.  Sorry - don't know how o post pics here.  I am on the standupzone site in teh shape shack forum.  Search on Kaholo

I installed the deck plate and so far have just been unscrewing it when not in use and it seems fine with the holes in it, breather tube, or anything?   I am thinking of just keeping it that way.  

This thread is kind of old Curious if there have been any updates.  I think the breathe tube looks kind of silly.  I am nearing the point where I install a deck plate and wondering about either putting the breathe tube in teh deck plate or simply drilling a few small holes in it? Any other word on the gore-tex vents?  If the Breathe tube really is the best option I will go with it but it seems a bit goofy looking.

I did not install the breather.  Instead, I drilled an 1/8" hole in the center of the access plate.  Works well and does not let more than a couple of drops of water into the boat during use.  You definately need something to vent the interior space.

1/8" is too big. You will be surprised how much air flows through a 1/16" hole.

It's also key to only have one hole. That hole allows pressure to equalize. More than one hole lets water pour through one hole while air bubbles out the other in the event of a capsize or upset.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.