Passagemaker sailing and using trolling motor at same time

To date I have used my Passagemaker either to sail (lug rig) or to fish with the help of an light electric trolling motor. I'm thinking of sailing to favorite fishing spots with the motor taking the place of the rudder. Does anyone have any experience and/or advice?

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Passagemaker sailing and using trolling motor at same time

Good Morning,

I would guess that your trolling motor  would be much to small to be effective as a sailing rudder. I am assuming you are not running the motor while sailing.

I am considering using a trolling motor on my Passagemaker. What kind of motor/battery do you use? How is the performance?

Tom

I have two, a Minn Kota 30(freshwater, about $100) and a Minn Kota 45 (salt or fresh, about $300) Both work well.

Actually, I was thinking of having the option of running the motor while sailing.

That is interesting, Motor Sailing with a Trolling Motor.

I have been Interested in the Minn Kota 30 just to get me away from the launch ramp and back to the ramp if the wind dies. I am concerned about battery life.  I am 75, and really don't need another hernia. What kind of battery do use and how long does it last with the Minn Kota 30? Do you carry the battery in the boat while it is on the trailer? 

CLC sells a High Tech electric motor that is supposed to be much more efficient than the trolling motor, but it is exspensive. About $1000. That includes a battery and charger.

Good Luck,

Tom  

I actually have two batteries, both Oddyssey. One I bought (625) and one I was given (925). Both are small and light weight. The 625 lasts about 30 minutes at full speed (about $100), the 925 about 50 minutes (cost?). I carry them in the boat while I trailor it.

Dean

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.