How will I know

I need to sand off the varnish on the hull of my boat but I am not sure how to tell when. Am down to the epoxy without going all the way to the glass fibers. Given that both the varnish and the epoxy are about the same color when do I know to stop sanding??  Help!

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: How will I know

Is there a reason you want to sand ALL the varnish off?  If you're just recoating, a good sanding to scuff up the original finish and even out nicks and dings should be goo enough.

Yes I am planning to cover bottom in epoxy/graphite. So I need to get the varnish off. However given that the varnish and the epoxy are the same color I am unsure how I will know when I am down to the epoxy. I don't want to go all the way to the cloth 

The easy answers is you will know! My experience is that the varnish dust will look different, a little more yellow. I also found it felt different when I got through the varnish (epoxy is a lot harder) dont go craxy with grit I think I just used 220. Try a spot, you will see.

Good choice on the new bottom!

David

The easy answers is you will know! My experience is that the varnish dust will look different, a little more yellow. I also found it felt different when I got through the varnish (epoxy is a lot harder) dont go craxy with grit I think I just used 220. Try a spot, you will see.

Good choice on the new bottom!

David

Use a good paint stripper...it won't affect the epoxy when you finally get through the varnish ...

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.