Teak for strips?

I am stripping the deck of my shearwater hybrid. I am using Paulownia and I was thinking about putting some teak in the mix. Not alot, just for looks.  The teak is close to 25-30 years old. I have a bunch 3/4" x 3/4" rips, stored in a garage attic or in my shop.

I just thought it would look good with what I am doing. I feel the teak is plenty cured and any oil that may have been in it is not as active as any new wood. I have some black walnut I could use, but the 3/4" teak rips would be perfect. Not at all concerned with weight.

Any thoughts?

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Teak for strips?

Yes, the oil is my only concern. If its evaporated it off and none comes leeching to the surface fine. It is a GREAT wood but the danged oil. Wunderbar if you can use it.

Pete

Wipe the teak surface with acetone just before using epoxy, and it will be fine.

Where did you find the Paulownia?

Thanks for the input on the teak. I guess I just needed the advice to help me decide. I don't think I will have any issues with it.

The Paulownia was locally harvested here in VA. Had an old farmer that just needed to get rid of these trees. I am known in the area for building crafts and furniture. He asked me if I would be interested in the wood and being a woodworker I said, why not.  I helped him take them down and he brought them to my house. Had a guy with a mill it along with some Walnut and Cherry. Paid $150 and got a very good stack of wood. I ended up with enough Paulownia to build 3 maybe 4 kayaks. More if I build Hybrids. I have never used it for anything until now on the shearwater. I can tell you it is well worth seeking out.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.