Sizing fibreglass

It's been a while (months, I'm ashamed to admit) since I glassed my wherry and I'm preparing to fill the weave.  What steps shoud I take before applying the next coat of epoxy?  Light sanding?  Vacuum or wipe dust?  Thanks.

Scott

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Sizing fibreglass

Yes to all. I tried different wipes but I don't know what all I used. I do remember sometime useing tack clothe without any problem, others advise against using it.

If the weave isn't even filled yet I would not be doing any sanding?  

Coco,

Do a quick hand sand with 120 grit sandpaper (you just want to rough up the surface), wipe down with denatured alcohol and proceed with epoxy coats. DO NOT use any type of tack rag when using epoxy. It will contaminate the surface and prevent the epoxy from adhering.

wash it. Yep, plain ol' water,scrub with a ScotchBrite pad, rinse, dry, roll on fill coats. Washing gets rid of amine blush if there is any, and if not washing is good anyway. 

Thanks to everyone for the advice-it's greatly appreciated.  Does washing with water or de-natured alcohol raise the grain in the ply and create any problems?  Thanks again.

Scott

Boat is allready coated with epoxy and glass so washing will not affect the plywood

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.