MKII bulkhead thickness

I was thinking that I should increase the thickness of the bulkheads in the MKII sail rig kit. I would like to know if others have done that and if so what wood was used? I would probably laminate a copy of the bulkhead to the ones provided. I can get okoume but it is more expensive. Also does anyone think that this is a good idea or am I wasting my time?

My concern is being in rough ocean water and having them crack while I am miles from land. I appreciate your input.

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: MKII bulkhead thickness

Ive used birch plywood. Did the job for me and awesome strong. I do t think as is their bulkheads are weak but above the deck not below is where I doubled up.

Pete

You want to realize below decks its supported on all sides so the bulkhead is plenty thick enough. Where its free standing above decks where the aka attaches us where I doubled it. Again a personal choice and nor due to failure.

Pete

I added addt'l fiberglass overlapping bulkhead to hull joint....am doing so above deck to help add strength... I had some, it doesn't add much really for weight and seemed prudent.

Thanks guys. Not too sure what I will do. John says it is a non-issue. I will probably add glass like donvt and call it good. I did add extra filet material inside the ama though.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.