Plexi-glass view port on bottom of MC-13

I saw a sketch on this site to add a viewing port on the bottom of a Mill Creek.  ie a 10 x 15 elispe. 

Have any of you ever done this? and would it weaken the boat significantly?

I am thinking about it.

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Plexi-glass view port on bottom of MC-13

My bottoms are scratched from rocks right where a port would be.

Kim

Maybe should use lexan instead of plexi-glass.

Just my opinion.....I think the idea of adding lexan or plexiglass would be a great idea. I doubt, if done thoughtfully, it would weaken the boat significantly. Like what was mentioned, the bottoms will be scratched in this general area. If you add a viewing port, it would significantly change the way you would handle yourself while entering and exiting your boat. I worked a sensor system in the AF that had a hardened plastic type dome covering laser optics. These, or coarse become scratched with time and there are kits available to refurb them (I think available through Jeep for refurbing plastic windows). Lots of elbow grease required but the results are quite good. I would think through a way to add a replaceable port that would be flush with the bottom and would have a wood panel for days you didn't want to be so extra careful while paddling. Good luck, if you do it, post pics!  John

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.