EPOXY

HOW DO YOU USE IT WITHOUT GETTING RUNS

16 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: EPOXY

Can you explain a bit more what problem you are having?   Off the cuff answer would be you are putting it on too think but what part of the process are you in?   A run now and then is likely and you can always sand it out later......you will be doing a lot of sanding later anyway.

i,am trying to coat sides vertically apoxy seams to thin it runs bad dont know if i am getting good coverage

Runs means applying too thick. Use a squeegee or a roller, not a brush.

5 thin coats is much better than one or 2 thick ones.

Laszlo

thanks for info i will try that. also i have small cracks i need to fill how much wood flour would i mix with apoxy for 1/8'' to 1/4'' cracks

i turned 65 and realized i have about 15 or maybe 20 years of active life left so i decided to spend it fishing i am building a boat to do that but i need help can anyone answer my questions i would really appreciate it

For filling gaps or making filets, I've found it best to use thoroughly mixed batch of epoxy then add wood flour till it becomes the approximate consistency of peanut butter.  You want it thick enough that it wont run and not so thick that you can't work it smooth.  If you add a small amount of Cell-o-fill to the mix it makes the finish a little smoother

thanks wing15601 i read about the fun you guys are having on your builds i hope i'll get there so far mine has all been frustrating i start then tear it up and start all over. i drew my plans and dont have no guides to go by but i'am going to keep trying hope you guys will keep helping me

When applying the epoxy just got lots of thin coats.   You building off of plans or a kit?   If you want your first build to be a little easier and more enjoyable than the kit may be something to think about but it sounds like you are already under way.  

As far what fill to use....it depends how you plan to finish your boat?   The parts of the boat you are going to leave clear, be careful to use the right stuff as everything will show through.   I would use the wood filler powder on areas that you plan to leave natural.   If you plan to paint the hull and sides (and I would if I were you) than you can use cell-o-fill and it doesn't matter anyway as you will be covering it.

What are you building?

i'am building a litle pontoon boat i intend to put an 9.8 outboard on it as i dont like the idea of rowing, to old

Your not building a CLC boat? 

no i want to fish in the shallow waters of texas coast i had a kayak but got hit by strong winds one day thought i was going die getting back in so i drew up plans for this litle boat so i can go in shallow water and have a motor on it i think it will work but i'am going to finish it and find out.

if i get epoxy on my skin can i clean it off with vinegar or what else could i use. what is safe

Scrub it off with abrasive waterless hand cleaner or a scrub sponge. Vinegar or alcohol will dissolve it but also let it get into your skin easier. Always use disposable gloves and an old long-sleeve shirt when working with epoxy. Repeated exposure can give you an allergic reaction. -Wes

storing epoxy in heat does it lose it's strength of efficiency?  Ive had it in my workshop with temps of 110 to 115 degrees. should i bring it in my house or is it okay there?

The epoxy should be fine, but you're changing it's working properties if you use it at those temps. First, it will be lots runnier than normal, which might be useful in some circumstances. Second, it's a general principle that chemical reactions double in speed for every ten degrees of elevated temp. So from 70 to 110 degrees you're needing to work 16 times faster.

Dont mix any big batches!

wish I woulda known sooner that the West extra slow hardener is significantly more expensive than the slow or fast hardener.  here in south Florida (read: 90 degree heat) extra slow is necessary sometimes but not always.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.