Finished Kayak Weight Question

I just finished my first Chesapeake 17 but it is a bit overweight! As I heard many times as I started to sand the kayak the first time, I too sanded through the fiberglass cloth at a few places looking for that smooth dull shade of gray. I decided to re-apply a new fiberglass cloth to the front of the kayak thinking I may have ruined the strength of the hull. This added a total of about 15-17 extra pounds to the finished boat. Will this much weight drastically change the maneuverability of the kayak or will it still be servicable in performance? Thanks!

9 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Finished Kayak Weight Question

I doubt you have anything to worry about with your boats's handling. How much does it weigh? 

Did you weigh teh boat before you added the extra glass and epoxy?  I seriously doubt that the added glass and epoxy you describ are accounting for 15-17 pounds.  that would be in excess of a gallon and a half of resin.  As far as the impact, you probably won't see a big difference in the water, but you sure will when you carry it or lift it onto your car.  As asked above, what does it weigh???

PAG

You can easily add or subtract 10-15 pounds of weight everytime you  kayak, depending on what you wear or bring with you.

On my first build, I over-applied epoxy to the bottom's fiberglass layup, causing the 'glass to float up in a few bubbles. I simply sanded them down fair. I don't think it is unusual to hit the fiberglass in a few small spots when sanding.

Thanks for your input. It has helped put my mind at-ease! The boat weighs in at about 57 pounds. I just got it wet yesterday and it tracks great, even in strong winds here in Michigan. I'm not used to a longer kayak, so I don't know what to expect in maneuverability/turning. Just learning and experimenting with leaning turns. Thanks again for your responses.

If your comfortable enough, you can lean the CH 17 till the edge of the deck touches the water.  You don't have to lean it that far but I do find that leaning into a turn helps with a tighter turn.  I don't utilize a rudder so I do what I can to assist in turning.

Thanks Danno. I'll try leaning farther and farther until I get more comfortable. Only got it out once so far, but am planning on playing a lot more.

Yeah, 57 lbs is a little heavy for a CH17, but the main thing about the weight is the transportability (ie: can you load it, unload it and get it to and from the water). Like said previously, 15-17 lbs is a small percentage of the total weight of the boat when you add yourself and all your gear. If your still worried about weight, leave the hibachi home ;-).

OK, I know this is sortof beating a dead horse, but, weight does affect handling, but 15 lbs, not so much. LOL

http://www.smrwa.org/pdfdocs/pr_2012-04-16cleanup.pdf

Thanks everyone for your input. It's really appreciated. And yes, I will leave the hibachi, Dutch oven and the 5-star tent at home. Looking forward to getting out and enjoying the boat this spring and summer!

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.