must you use primer over micro-balloons fairing compound

Iv'e smoothed out the interior of my MC16 very nice. Was planning on using Pre-kote plus top-coat with brightsides. I'm happy with the fairness of the substrate, is it a must to use the pre-kote or can I go ahead with the paint? My main concern is that I did use micri-balloons and will the paint take to it OK.

Thanks John

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: must you use primer over micro-balloons fairing compound

When you use the Interlux Pre Kote high build primer and wet sand as reccomended on the Tips for Boatbuilders section of this site, you will be removing most of the primer in the sanding process but you will also notice spots, scratches and uneven areas will remain filled as primer is sanded smooth, which you would not otherwise see until the top coat of paint dries.  The primer is absolutely necessary if you want a glass like finish.  Or, you could go to Home Depot and get some exterior house paint or a bucket of tar and slap that on. 

RE: must you use primer over micro-balloons fairing compound

The fairing compound takes care of unevenness at the large level. Primers take care of unevenness at the small level.

Also, depending on which paint system you're using the paint may not stick well to the fairing compound unless there's a coat of primer there.

You need both if you're going for the best possible finish.

Laszlo

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.