piantedosi unit in MC16

I received my piantedosi unit. I can't find any placement instructions. Not sure if I'm overlooking them somewhere. I would like to hear from those who have put them in and any things you might do differently. mill creek 16.5.

thanks John

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: piantedosi unit in MC16

John,

Go to the MC 16.5 in the on-line catalog and go to the last pciture in the Construction Gallery.  All dimensions are there.  I have been rowing a MC 16.5 for 4 years.  Did not have those dimension when i built mine and ended up with the unit about 6" to far aft.  Good news is the boat was very directionally stable.  Bad news was that the bow would lift out of the water, taking several feet off the waterline length with every stroke.  I relocated the unit a year or so ago.  The bow now stays in the water, but it is a bit more of a chore to keep it going straight.  It could really use a small skeg.

I have also wrapped the row rig with foam where it passes over the coaming.  The fit is very close and with slexing, the top of the coaming can see some wear.  If the clearance is really tight you might want to elevate teh mounting slightly.  Check it out.

Have fun.

Paul

Paul, Did you relocate to clc standard? Also do you think the coaming hieght could  be reduced and still be sufficient?

thanks John

John,

Yes, I relocated to the CLc dimensions.  I think you could take an inch or so off the coaming.  The boat is a bit heavy and very stiff.  have never taken any water aboard.  by the time it's that rough rowing is very difficult.

FYI:  In the main pciture gallery for the MC 16.5, CLC on-line catalog, the following pictures are my boat.  17, 18, 25, 26, 27, & 44

Paul

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.