Wood Duck 12 Dry fitting Deck to Hull

Has anyone else had issues getting the deck to fit right on the hull of the wood duck 12?  The deck bulges out about a foot back from the bow and it doesn't seem to want to fit right on the hull.  Everywhere else it seems to fit fine.  Any suggestions would be appeciated.  Thanks.

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Wood Duck 12 Dry fitting Deck to Hull

My deck took some convincing, too. It's normal, caused by wood being a natural, not manufactured, product.

My first suggestion would be to try plastic packing film. It's available at shipping supply stores.

Get a couple of helpers to push the deck from each side until it's the right shape, then wrap it with the film to immobilize it. Once it's secure, you can add wires, epoxy, etc. (click on the image for a larger one).

There's more discussion on my Building a Wood Duck 12 page if you want it.

Hope this helps,

Laszlo

Thansk Laszlo, I appreciate the suggestion and the pictures.  I bought some shrinkwrap and will try it out this weekend.

I had some of the same challenges on my WD10 the the plywood Sapele deck.  I used some wood sticks and cut them to wedge inside the hull and push the hull out more while my wife held the deck inward in place and I wrapped it with the plastic package wrap.

You might have to hold the sticks in place with some small wood blocks temporarily glued just above where the stick will touch the hull so they sticks wont pop out of place too easily.

Oh and I still had 1/8" or so overlap that I could not get rid of on each side about 6" forward of the transom.  I just planed that overlap off the deck edge after the glue dried and I guarantee you that you cant tell I did so.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.