Thule 835PRO Hull-a-port carriers.

Wondering if anyone out there has put their WD12 on a pair of Thule 835PRO carriers?

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Thule 835PRO Hull-a-port carriers.

I just bought a new SUV (Escape) and trying to decide on a new carrier myself.  So im interested to hear what other wood duckers are using as well.

Im looking at the SportRack kayak saddles or just the CLC aero rack pads for hauling my WD10.  I want somethng secure enough for the highway without bow and stern lines tied to the bumper

I use Yakima hullraisers: http://www.yakima.com/shop/water/top/hullraiser

I use only these if I am carrying one or two boats. If I am carrying three or four, which I sometimes do, I use the hullraisers for the inner boats (closest to the centerline of the car), and Yakima Bowdowns (http://www.yakima.com/shop/water/top/bowdown) for the two boats on the outside. That way, I can unload the two out boats, fold the Bowdowns down, and get to the inner boats conveniently. Loading is the revers: fold down the Bowdowns, load the Hullraisers, put the Bowdowns in the upright position and load them. 

By the way, I carry all this stuff on a 2003 VW Jetta Wagon. Don't forget the bow and stern tiedowns!!!

Jim

Just saw the note about wanting something secure enough without the bow and stern tiedowns. As far as I am concerned, there's no such thing at highway speed. Locally, sure, but on the highway, DON'T DO IT. At least, I wouldn't. I know a kayaker who thought he could do without the tiedowns and was doing just fine until a cross wind blew up and detached his entire factory-installed rack from the top of his van, with 2 boats securely fastened to the fly-away rack. Would the tiedowns have helped? Who know, but they sure wouldn't hurt. Just my opinion.

Jim

Most roof-top carrier fails are the result of the rack detaching from the vehicle. Some of these racks are attached only with sheet metal screws. I always wrap a strap around the whole load and through the doors, in addition to bow straps. -Wes

I second Jim's comments. I have a Thule rack similar to the Yakima bowdown and love it. Folds down when not carrying a boat and is well padded and very sturdy. I also would not go very far or at any significant speed without the bow and stern tie downs. I have seen too many racks moving around on top of cars due to wind created by the car speed and/or the environment. No need to cinch down on them and risk bowing or twisting the boat, just snug them. Admittedly they only come into play if something goes wrong with the rack or straps or if the wind is extreme but you could say the same about wearing a lifevest. 90% of the time the vest isn't necessary but if you need it and you aren't wearing it you might be toast.

Thanks...good info as usual..did not know about the Yakima Bowdowns...they are worth a look see....

I've tied many dozens (probably a few hundred) kayaks on rooftops for customers. None of them left with my involvement without bow and stern tiedowns. This policy was only reinforced by the tale we heard firsthand one day about the boat that slid out of a roof rack on an interstate highway bridge. Fortunately no one was hurt.

Put your hand out the window at highway speed. Now imagine that force magnified many times by the surface area that's exposed on a kayak.

And as mentioned, it is a good idea to watch the force applied when pulling down on the ropes. I watched a factory cross bar collapse when a ratcheting tie down arrangement was pulled on too hard.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.