Eastport Pram finished! Sailing questions

Hello, I launched my Eastpor Pram, made from scratch last week, but I feel it a little crowded, or confused sailing it, John Harris say that is better to sit on the floor, but when you tack or jybe, is hard to change to the other side, since you need to deal with the tiller blocking the way. Or It supossed to stay at one side always?

I sail it sitting on the center seat, and works well, with my 20 kg son, sitting on the floor behind the mast. Anyway, I,m very happy with the results, great boat.

What are your experiences???? Suggestions??

Here is a short video of the building process and sailing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB0rm5ci5XM

Thank you very much.

Andres

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Eastport Pram finished! Sailing questions

I too have run into that problem and I think it is somewhat of a design oversight with the seating for the sailing version.

See the most recent 3 issues of Wooden Boat to see how Arch davis arranged the seats in his peapod.  That would be a good alternative. I am planning to incorporate some of those ideas into a skerry I am building.

I have been sailing my pram for 5+ years and have used the oars as seats My lab sits in front and holds down the bow.  I can shift my weight fore and aft and side to side from those seats. Only when coming about do I sit on the mid seat as I slide across to the other oar.  This has worked very well but is not as nice as a built in seat bench would be.

On the other hand I have  been out in quite some blows snapped the mast a few years ago and been glad I had oars with me.

This a really fun boat to sail.  A good wind always has you on edge but it is exhilierating to take off and surf across the waves.

Have fun

Dick Mabbs

RE: Eastport Pram finished! Sailing questions

I too have run into that problem and I think it is somewhat of a design oversight with the seating for the sailing version.

See the most recent 3 issues of Wooden Boat to see how Arch davis arranged the seats in his peapod.  That would be a good alternative. I am planning to incorporate some of those ideas into a skerry I am building.

I have been sailing my pram for 5+ years and have used the oars as seats My lab sits in front and holds down the bow.  I can shift my weight fore and aft and side to side from those seats. Only when coming about do I sit on the mid seat as I slide across to the other oar.  This has worked very well but is not as nice as a built in seat bench would be.

On the other hand I have  been out in quite some blows snapped the mast a few years ago and been glad I had oars with me.

This a really fun boat to sail.  A good wind always has you on edge but it is exhilierating to take off and surf across the waves.

Have fun

Dick Mabbs

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.