San Javier Bigfoot Kayak

Can anyone help me I have found a 85% finished Bigfoot kayak but cannot find anything on the designer who I think was San Javier. The kayak is nearly 19feet    long and around 2 feet at the widest part. Can anyone tell me if it would be any good for a 220lb learner? I have found it in New Zealand of all places. By the way had my first paddle in my WD14 and you don`t get much stable than that, will try to post a picture. (computer illiterate)

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: San Javier Bigfoot Kayak

Hey Tee....  For that length, with only 24" beam, it suggests to me that it will be tippy....  Owning a Wood Duck 14, why would you/anybody want another kayak????  LOL...  I have a Wood Duck 12 and plan on building another 12 AND a 14 within the next two years, money allowing...   MERRY CHRISTMAS, Tee...   ~BRUCE~

Teefa,

how about a few more details about the boat.... and a pic or two would be great too. To post a pic, just follow the instructions on this site...closely.  Dave

Thanks Tugbruce for the info. The WD14 is in aussie and I go to NZ for 4-6mth of the year and thought the Bigfoot would be an easy and cheap way to go, looks like I will make another WD and be safe. Sorry ludwigd tried twice still no pictures. Happy Newyear everyone from teefa (tom) in Aussie.

I quick google search gives me this.  But the link didn't work.  Maybe the phone number and email work.  

San Javier Kayak

P.O. Box 4457 
Sathergate Post Office
Berkeley, CA 94704
510/215-1776 (evenings)
Email: [email protected]
WWW: http://www.ccnet.com/~sjkayak/

Also these posts from 2000 from noahsmarine.com:

Anybody know which stitch and glue kit currently on the market would be suit a 6'6", 230 lbs, size 15 shoe paddler, like myself, and could carry at least 150 pounds of extra gear?

Yes, try San Javier Kayaks of San Francisco, California. The Bigfoot will fit bill nicely.

I built one last winter for an expedition down the Mackenzie River last July. The Bigfoot packs tons of gear and offers a very roomy cockpit. At 18'3" x 23.5" x 13", I easily packed all of my gear as well as 3 weeks provisions. I covered just under 1000 miles in 22 days. This design is FAST and handles very well either loaded or empty.

Doug and Cindy Faber of San Javier are very easy to deal with and will do everything possible to ensure your success.

I have numerous digital photos of my Bigfoot if you want to see what the finished product looks like.

Internet tells me its 18'3" long with 24" beam. That puts it in the same category as a Ches 18 and wider than a WR18. Will be fine for a big unit beginner.

San Javier Kayak

P.O. Box 4457
Sathergate Post Office
Berkeley, CA 94704
510/215-1776 (evenings)
Email: [email protected]
WWW: http://www.ccnet.com/~sjkayak/

• Kits and Plans for Three models
  • San Javier Single, 18, long, 22" beam (narrow, fast, intermediate to expert skill level)
  • BIG FOOT Single, 18, 3" long, 24" beam (larger volume, very stable, all skill levels, good camper)
  • San Javier Double, 20, long, 24" beam (fast, sleek, stable, all skill levels

Thankyou everyone for the great information I am in the proccess negotiation will give it a go. The Bigfoot sounds ideal for NZ conditions. Still can`t find a web site for San Javier but will keep trying.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.