help!mill creek kit builders

the offsets shown in the manual appear to show  the top edge of the panel being measured from the baseline is that correct? bow panel \ and stern\  if the baseline were above the slashes.

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: help!mill creek kit builders

I'm building from a kit, so double check what i tell you here.

Page 49 of the manual states toward the bottom of the page:

"The inches-eighths dimensions are presented in a table below the panel, representing heights above a straight baseline. The heights are measured up from a baseline along a station, a line at right angles to the baseline. ...

"The upper number is the point along top edge of the panel where the panel edge intersects the station. The lower number is the point along the bootom edge of the panel.

"Stations are evenly spaced, typically every foot."

So, in the example on that same page of "5-0 appears over 0-4+", the measurement at that particular station from the baseline to the top edge would be 5 inches and no eighths. The measurement to the bottom edge would be 4 eighths (i.e., one half inch) plus a sixteenth.

Hope this helps.

NOPE ,thats exactly whats confusing me the offsets from the plans show the baseline on the bottom edge of thep anel, the kit manuals show 2 measurements at the center of the scarfs from the baseline to the top [where the shear clamps will be attached] edge .

I'm still not quite clear on the question---are you building from a kit or from plans?  If it's a kit, the range of answers depends on the vintage of your Mill Creek kit.

If it's a post-2002 Mill Creek kit, don't pay any attention to the offsets for the hull panels on page 2 of the architectural drawings---that voluminous collection of data is for someone building a Mill Creek from scratch.  It's just going to confuse a kit builder. 

For kit builders, follow the very simple diagram shown in the instruction manual to align your panels as you glue the scarf joints.

I also don't quite understand the question now. Page 2 of the plans that I have matches the wording on page 49 of the manual. There's a statement on the plan page that heights are from the baseline.

Is it possible that you're confusing the baseline on the "Sheer Panel Layout" drawing (on the bottom of Page 48 of the manual) with the bottom edge of the panel? The drawing could lead one to think that, as there's some misleading shading on it. If you look closely you'll see there's both a baseline line and a bottom edge displayed.

the plans show the shear panel offsets being measured with the bottom [edge of the panel that will attach to the bilge panels] facing the base line and the manual shows what appears to be the top [edge that wiil meet the deck ]facing the offsets the drawing"s not that distinct ive already scarfed it accoring to the manual  ,hope thats right

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.