Securing a spray skirt to my old glass kayak.

I have an old glass kayak purchassed in 1971 from the Foloboat company. It is not  an elegant craft and I have suplimented my little fleet with a P&H from the UK and a rotomolded light touring craft manufactured in the USA. The Old Foloboat is basically a white water design in which I installed a CLC skeg kit this summer. It now goes very straight in waves, wind and tide. It is a dry boat, but I would like to be able to secure a Seals spray skirt just the same. This will require some sort of "lip" on the outside of the 2 to 3" high cockpit rim. Any suggestions? I really enjoy the boat, and feel very comfortable thrashing about in it on day trips. I am comfortable with the process of melding wood to glass, and have considered 1/4 round ash. Is there something like an extrusion that might work better?

Tom

[email protected]

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Securing a spray skirt to my old glass kayak.

A wood lip glassed into place would probably be the most effective but there are several options from rope to glass rope to wood to whatever you like, really.

As I said, I think your idea will be the most successful for the uses you've mentioned.

FrankP

Thank You Frank. The rope solution might be the easiest to accomplish. The wood lip would, as you suggest offer the most security, a big consideration in a roll, but this boat, being wide and high, does not lend itself to that maneuver. I'd just like to stay dry when setting out, and returning through breaking surf.

Tom 

Tom,

In that case, the rope lip would be the fastest/easiest method and in my experience with SOF boats works just as well for "light" duty.  I don't really take my boats in truly rough water so I can't speak to that level of security from a rope lip.  For simply staying dry during entry and exit and light duty paddling it works great, though.

FrankP

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.