Fiberglass deck before coaming strips?

Ok,

I've finished sanding the hull and deck of my Night Heron, and now I have a question about what to do next.

Should I put the coaming strips on the deck before I fiberglass the deck, or fiberglass the outside of the deck before putting on the coaming strips?

Nick's book, "Strip-Built Sea Kayak" says to put the coaming strips on first, but I swear I've seen him fiberglass the outside of the deck before putting on the coaming strips?

Just thought I'd ask which way would be easier from those who have done this before.

Thanks in advance,

Chris Folsom

P.S., If I do fiberglass the deck first I plan on putting on a sealer coat before the glass, and how many coats of epoxy after the glass if I do them at 4 hour intervals in one night (don't want to sand between coats)?

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Fiberglass deck before coaming strips?

Chris,

On my Shearwater H I glassed the deck before installing the coaming.  Glassing the coaming is a real pain with all the angles you must wrap the glass around.  Carrying the deck glass up over the coaming may give you problems with keeing the glass flush to the deck.  This way you get a good clean glass job on the deck with everything well sealed and then you can start the coaming battle with narrow strips that are easier to control.

Your plan to epoxy every 4 hours may be a bit ambitious.  You do not want to lay down a new coat while the last onbe is still gummy.  With Mas epoxy and slow hardiner you can easily wait 24 - 48 hours between coats with no sanding.  Check your brand for guidelines and call them if you have questions.  Slow down and enjoy the process.  As to the number of coats, what ever it takes to fill the weave, and remember:  more thin coats are better than a few thick ones running off on the floor.

Good Luck and enjoy.

paul

Paul,

Thanks for your help. I will check the info on epoxy, and review the video on the cotton ball test.

Thanks again,

Chris F

FWIW, if the temperatures cooperate, 4 hours is plenty to wait before a new coat. A couple of weeks ago when it was in the mid to upper 90's, slow hardener epoxy cured to non-tackiness in under 4 hours here.

Laszlo

Laszlo,

Thanks for the info regarding my situation, but what does FWIW mean?

Guess I'm missing something, but it's not the first time, LOL!

Chris F

Ok Laszlo,

I figured it out "For What It's Worth".

THX, LOL!

Chris F

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.