Wood Duck 14' Scarf Ought Oooohhhh...

Gent's,

Almost finished cutting out all the pieces for my wood duck 14 build and noticed a mention in another thread of a 5" or greater scarf.

I followed the plans diagram to a T and it shows a 2 1/4" scarf area...wonder if I miss read this on the plans?

Do you need a longer scarf area for joining these pieces?

The scarfs are located pretty close to the middle of the pieces where there's not alot of twist happening..

Am I good, or do I need to rethink this?

I've already cut all pieces with the 2 1/4" overlap for scarfing....a fix at this point might mean a different type joint.

Paul in NH

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Wood Duck 14' Scarf Ought Oooohhhh...

The manual for the 2 Shearwater hybrids I built says to use an 8:1 scarf joint. By my calculations, that's a 6" long scarf in a 3/4" wide strip. That other thread was discussing deck strips, by the way. Are you asking about scarf joints for plywood parts? 

Two Rivers,

Was asking about plywood parts..I didn't catch that they were refering to strips...maybe a hybrid for my next build, but this being the first, I'm sticking to all plywood parts.

I can't imagine I'd be in any trouble, as one of the discussed methods was a butt joint reinforced with glass...thickened epoxy is tough stuff, so this shouldn't be a problem...right?  :)

It's 8:1 NH so you'll be just fine with your 2.25" on your plywood. Enjoy the build.

Awesome! I feel much better now...

Thanks rhogan and gent's,

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.