Fitness Perspective - Paddling or Rowing?

I am considering building a boat. My prospective regular launch areas are bays with fairly calm waters. I hope to also try other bodies of water (ocean, etc.), but the bays would be my the place where I do most of my paddling/rowing. Part of my motivation for getting into paddling/rowing is for fitness. I wanted to see what folks though of here at the discussion board about different boats and the advantages in relation to fitness. I am considering a kayak or a double-oared rowing craft.

The kayak (e.g., Shearwater Sport) seems to exercise the shoulders, arms and abdominal muscles. It requires rotation of the torso and probably works the external obliques, etc.

The double-oared sliding seat rowboat (e.g. Oxford Shell Rowing Craft) seems to exercise the shoulders, arms, abdominal muscles and the legs. Rowing utilizes the lever of the oarlock so it seems to provide stability and less rotatory forces on the spine. Perhaps this is safer in terms of minimizing strain to the lower back.

Does anyone paddle or row with a focus on getting an aerobic workout? Which do you perform -- paddling or rowing? Which do you find provides an aerobic or muscle building workout? Has anyone had low back pain or other orthopedic problems related to paddling or rowing?

-Sean

19 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Fitness Perspective - Paddling or Rowing?

Rowing will give you more strength benefit, but puts a lot of pressure on your lower back. Kayaking is a terrific aerobic workout, but does not build a lot of muscle if you do it right. A lot depends on your age and physical condition. I ruptured a disk in my lower back many years ago and cannot row at all, but I regularly kayak ten miles or more with no problems. -Wes

I agree, rowing can put a lot of stress on your lower back. Be aware of this if you already have back issues. That said, proper form along with keeping your back limber (yoga helps me) and not trying to do too much ( I am guilty of this) will help keep you in the game.

Both require proper technique to be able to get a good workout without getting hurt.  Rowing particularly requires technique.  Is there a paddling or rowing club in your area that you can join or take a class at?  Many rowing clubs have rec sculls that you can use...  This way you can find out what works for you before you start building and you will know people to paddle/row with once you have your boat.

I can paddle my kayak for an hour and barely break a sweat.  When I row my Tandem Wherry for an hour I am drenched with sweat head to toe.  Yes-rowing will build more muscle and I do not have any more back pain!

You can control the amount of aerobic workout by altering the stroke count-i.e. 20 strokes/minute-easy, 40 strokes/minute-sucking wind.

Build the Wherry-great boat

Steve

I agree with Steve.  I seem to get much more of a workout rowing than I do paddling.  I row a Mill Creek 16.5.  It's a compromise boat really.  Rows pretty well and it's short enough to put in the garage and light enough to get on the top of the car.  Can also be paddled as a single or double.  Have considered replacing this boat with an Oxford Shell.  Would be easier to load.  My only back problems come from getting that 65# on and off the car.

By the way, for paddling I have a Shearwater 17H.  Hope this helps.

Paul

Sliding seat rowing can really be a complete workout. Done correctly, it won't strain your back. It's best to get some instruction in the correct technique - you really can't learn it from a book, and it takes some time to master. The Annapolis Wherry would be good for calm waters but it can handle some chop. The Oxford Shell would be a nice alternative, but only if you're familiar with sliding seat sculling.

My only experience with rowing is via the use of a rowing machine. Great workout. Going backwards is not my cup of tea though so I paddle for fitness.  A fast kayak combined with correct forward stroke and a wing paddle will definitely provide a good workout. I personally don't paddle sea kayaks anymore as I have ramped it up and paddle/race a high performance surfski. If I had to paddle a kayak again, I would consider a Pax 20 or a mystery. I am currently buidling an open cockpit Pax 20 but it won't replace my Stellar SE on race days or for open ocean/surfing.

Wing paddles require good technique and greatly assist torso rotation. A slim beamed craft will definitely improve core strength. Since crossing over to the fast side, I have definitely increased my muscle mass; mainly lats but chest size has increased also. At training pace, my BPM's are generally around the 120-130 mark. My short paddle is  10k/1Hr. My long paddle is double that. Thats a good workout by any measure of the stick.

Have a look on youtube and compare paddlers with good forward stroke and recreational kayakers. The good paddlers will not only be using their upper bodies but will be using leg drive as well. Recreational kayakers will generally be cruising along using their arms with no torso rotation or leg drive.

Bottom line is, there's paddling and then there's paddling. You could always build both and get the best of both worlds.

cheers

I have both. A sliding seat wherry and several kayaks. In my opinion the sliding seat rowing provides a more intense workout in general because it involves the legs to a much larger degree. I am assuming from the context of your question that you will be transporting and lunching on every outing. In this case I think the kayak is a much better choice. It is significantly easier to do said which will increase the likelihood of you actually getting out on the water regularly.

Work it all and stand up paddle a Kaholo, I can make every muscle in my body hurt if I want. flat water, rough water, no wind, high wind, head wind, tail wind, sprints, crusing, high cadance, slow cadance, vary your training on a SUP and work it all.

David

By the time you have built something to row backwards, something to paddle forward, and an Sup to stand up on, hopefully plans will be available for the San O 16.so that you can get a workout whilst kneeling.

Phil, no blog. gluing the scarfed panels after lunch today, so maybe a pic or two before too long when I get the hull stitched. I,m 6'3", was 220 but now around 200. A snug fit is very important in a slim boat for stability.

Do a search over at blueheronkayaks and you will find pics of Paul Hansen's strip built surfski and his open cockpit Mystery. A search for timber surfskis will also direct you to surfski.info and S&G surfskis bult by Stephen Kelly from Oz, Brad Hayes from NZ and a bloke from trinidad.

Be warned, once you go to a narrow beam boat expect your sea kayak to gather dust and spider webs in the rafters.

Cheers 

sold a scull this spring.  Can't seem to remember to turn around and look to keep from crashing into things.  Always had a good workout whether rowing or paddling.  enter a race & you'll find yourself sweating even if you're only trying to beat Joe Blow or Jane Doe to a 29th place finish!  40th place can get just as good a workout as 1st place.

We're racing 6- 26 miles in kayaks & outrigger canoes.  We're speed freaks, though 6-8 mph would seem glacial to a motorhead.  

FWIW, some racing paddlers seem to migrate from kayaks to outrigger canoes, due to shoulder issues, but it could really be that their kayak paddles are a bit long. (?)

I've had three lumbar herniations and plan to row. Call me crazy. I recently read about an Olympic rower, can't recall his name, who ruptured a disc and returned to rowing and competition. From my own past experience, rowing isn't necessarily hard on your back - it comes down to technique. Also, going slower. Kayak paddling is actually harder for me with my back problems.

Of course, I intend to mainly be *sailing* and only row in extreme circumstances and to manuever at dock!

... either - as long as you do it regularly.

I set myself a "little challenge" and the only way to acheive it it to put in the hours of regular paddling...

That little challenge is http://canoeclassic.asn.au/ - 

I use a rowing machine for general fitness and when the weather is too bad to get out in the 'yak.  Of course, I prefer to get out and do the paddling....

Definitly rowing over paddling,just look at the elite paddlers and then look at guys that row .that being said I suggest you give the stand up paddleboard a closer look its a great full body workout ,its a cheaper and easier build,its easier to transport and put in the water so you'll actually get out more. Check out the kaholo14

Greg,

You're absolutely right. Paddlers are soooo wimpy :-)

Laszlo

Rowing definitely gives the better aeorbic workout because you are using the large muscles of the legs. Back problems arise with poor form and novices should have a few coached sessions with the sliding seat if they are worried. In busy areas sitting backwards can be an issue if you are in the groove and there is a lot of traffic. I use a tiny rearview mirror attached to the arm of my eyeglasses (but often forget to check it) I prefer the rhythm of rowing to paddling and find it easier on my shoulders. The downside for me is getting the boat on and off the trailer but it is no harder than getting the kayak on and off the car. Try them both out in different craft before you commit but beware, you may end up with a lot of boats. 

Very funny Laszlo!

Wow, a resurected thread!

I row for fitness both on the water (in my Skerry) and on a rowing machine in the house. The Skerry is fixed seat of course and the machine (a Concept 2) is sliding seat. After a summer of on the water rowing I can put in a load of better times on the machine as I've built up more muscle - I'm no body builder mind, and a winter on the machine means I can get straight out on the water when it warms up and go places.

The kayak (Ches 17LT) is just another option of getting out on the water. I can cover greater distances with less effort and whilst I'm sure it's a fairly aerobic exercise I don't see it as exercise if you see what I mean. All exercise is good, exercise out on the water is better and so much better than running  :))

She says it better than I can:

Rowing just might be the most efficient exercise ever. "With each stroke, pretty much every part of the body is used," says Stella Lucia Volpe, an exercise physiologist and professor of nutrition sciences at Drexel University in Philadelphia and an avid rower. And it may let you skip crunches—for good. "A big part of rowing is core strength," she adds. "People think it's all arms, but rowing is much more legs and core. Rowing is a full-body exercise, and it keeps the heart rate elevated. It requires you to use 83 percent of your muscles and you get both a cardio and strength training workout in one."

Now with all that said, in order to get the complete expereince you would need to add the drop in Piantedosi sliding seat.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.