Stripping Without Staples

I have a Shearwater 16 Hybrid and somewhere I read of a jig to use to strip a deck without using staples however I can't seem to find it.  Has anyone stripped a deck without staples?  Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Charlie 

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Stripping Without Staples

I used a whole bunch of these doohickies..

Here is a link to a post with pictures of pretty "doodads" for clamping strips:

http://www.blueheronkayaks.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1071&p=10788&hilit=strip+doodads#p10788

At one point, a participant of the Blue Heron forum had a large number of these manufactured and was selling them very reasonably priced. But you get the idea, you can make them yourself. These clamps are good for putting sideways pressure to clamp strips to each other, it is also critically important to have a way of exerting downward pressure to insure that the strip is conforming to the forms. So long as you make sure, by whatever means, the strips are clamped to each other, and clamped down to the forms, you should be ok.

--

eric

put tape around your forms first ,add a little hot melt glue to the back side of your strip, afte you have fit it and put glue on, to help hold the strips to the forms . Put the U clips on withe spring clamp and away you go

have fun 

Thanks, I appreciate the hints and I will give it a try.

Charlie 

If anyone has any other advice, I would appreciate it.

Charlie 

Before assembling the forms/mold, use your router to put a dado grove around each frame.  This will allow spring clamps a good purchase to hold each strip in place as the glue dries.  See the building photos for my Sea Wolf at http://gallery.me.com/jermcmanus

Good luck.  Jer/mtsailor 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.