Graphite line cleanup

My graphite line's are not as clean as i wanted them after i removed the tape; what is the best way to sharpen the edge before i start to varnish?  Thanks in advance!

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Graphite line cleanup

retape your lines into the varnished finish area enough to cover your jagged edges. Use a better tape this time around. That's one idea anyway.

I've been tempted to try "FROG TAPE" and actiate it with a damp rag or sponge prior to painting. This is just a suggestion, test before you commit to painting your boat. If I get to it first I'll let you know.

Should noted that currently we use "Scotch Plastic Tape" in the shop with gelcoat and polyurethane paints. This tape sticks well and all but eliminates the bleeding that can occur with masking tape. Timing is important too, not too early and not too late, you want to pull the tape when the coating is gelled and tends to shear at the paint/tape line. Again, always test a new product on a scrap before you use it on your boat.

I used 3M blue tape with good results. Just make sure you burnish the edge before coating with your epoxy mixture. If you want a fine line use 3m fine line tape or a plastic tape like mentioned above.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.