Build time for a Mill Creek 13 -- (sort of) nonstop

I want to surprise my wife with a Mill Creek 13 from the kit. She'll be away for six days. I figure I'll have 8 hours a day available for the boat. What can I expect to get done in the six days? I have a spacious garage and prior experience building a small sailboat from scratch with plywood with my dad when i was a kid.

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Build time for a Mill Creek 13 -- (sort of) nonstop

I've built an MC 13 but from scratch, not from a kit. My guess is you'll be pushing it if you can build it in 100 hrs. I'm fussy and it prob. takes me longer but you'll want to do a nice job of it.

The build process often means working for 2 hours and waiting for epoxy to cure for half a day or overnight.  Sometimes you can work on other parts while another cures but most often you cannot, so it eats the days.

Looking back at my build log it took me 6 calandar days to get 17 hours of work and have the hull of the boat basically assembled and glued.

You will certainly have something that looks very much like a MC13 after 6 days to suprise your wife with, go for it.

Thanks for your replies.  I want to have enough done that she's so taken with the boat that she forgets to ask right away how much it cost. :-)  Sounds like it's feasible.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.