Trimming for maximum hull efficiency

Over the past ten months, since first launching my Chesapeake 16, I have tried various fore and aft seating positions in an attempt to find the perfect trim.

Has anyone managed to work out where the sweet-spot is ?

Dave

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Trimming for maximum hull efficiency

It varies from boat to boat because no 2 boats have exactly the same hull shape. One thing you could try is to st where it's the most comfortable for you and put ballast in the front and back hatch spaces. On my wife's 16LT 2 liters of water in soda bottles in the rear hatch almost doubled her speed.

Laszlo

Laslo

A belated thankyou for your reply to my query.  We'll most certainly try the ballast trick.

Dave

Laszlo,

Just got home as you know and am getting back on the forum. If two liters doubled your wife's speed then adding eight more liters should enable her to tow a water skiier or two. And you know I am a rocket scientist!

See you at MASCF. Hope the schooner is in the water.

George K

Since my CH16 will soon be launched, how do I know if the trim needs tweaking?

"Since my CH16 will soon be launched, how do I know if the trim needs tweaking?"

I was wondering the same thing. Is there a procedure you follow to determine the proper amount of ballast and where it should be located?

George,

I passed along the idea to her, she was very impressed and wanted to know why I hadn't thought of that :-). The schooner is still on track for MASCF, the sides and bulkheads are taped, the bottom is mostly taped, it's completely glassed inside,  and the outside of the side panels are also glassed.

Mark & Mike,

That's what sea trials are for. Just get in and start paddling, get comfortable with your boat and get the feel of it. Have someone take a picture, if possible, of you sitting in the motionless boat on very still water.

If the boat doesn't track well on a windless day, wiggles left/right while paddling straight, some weight can help. Depending on the situation, front or back may work, but usually I've seen it be in the back. If the picture shows the boat down by the bow or stern from where it should be, put the weight in the opposite hatch. It doesn't take much, just one or 2 1-liter drink bottles will probably take care of things.

If the ballast doewn't make any differencem then congratulations - you've built the perfectly balanced boat.

Have fun, all

Laszlo

I know I read this somewhere, ( I think in one of Nicks books) but do ALL kayaks veer right or left when you stop paddling, and whats with that.

Is this also correctable with a couple of litres of water?

Thanks

Ted B

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.