Shearwater Sport

Just wondering if anyone has finished building, started building or is thinking about building the Shearwater Sport? What influenced your decision vs the other Shearwater models? I know the Sport is shorter than the SW17 by about 2.5', is 3 lbs lighter, 3" wider, 3" more knee height, bigger cockpit and all that. Anyone have any real world observations yet?

Thanks.

10 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Shearwater Sport

I think this boat is a very subjective thing. I'm spoiled rotten by my SW17h and when I paddled the Sport at O-fest I found that it was not for me. It really depends on what you are looking to do with it, I suppose. I would strongly suggest trying it first.

Dan 

I also tried the boat at Okoumefest. It was a comfortable fit for me, whereas I find the SW17 a bit tight and tippy. On the other hand, it didn't feel all that different to me from my WD12, which is odd since the Sport is 2 feet longer and 5 inches narrower. Maybe it's because I was there looking for a boat that was much faster than the WD12 and the difference between the WD12 and Sport was just not enough to catch my attention. And there's the problem with other peoples' impressions - everybody has a different agenda and it may not match yours. But I can say that it's a good looking boat, looks like a reasonable build and it falls into a niche between the WD12 and the SW17.

Dan's right, though, the best thing to do is to try one before building.

Laszlo

There are legions of paddlers who can't fit in the sleek, low-volume Shearwater 14, 16, and 17 kayaks, but who want more of a performance dimension than the Wood Ducks.  It's hard to beat the Wood Ducks for stooging along at lazy afternoon speeds, but the Shearwater Sport has longer legs, figuratively, and fits longer legs, literally. 

A smaller percentage of the Shearwater Sport's target audience has worked their way up to "longboat" surfing in traditional kayaks, and they want to take that further, which requires a shorter waterline for nimble maneuvering in the surf zone.  That's where the "Sport" appellation comes in.

Most paddlers are just going to appreciate that they're getting a lot of the Shearwater 17's handling in a more compact, more stable, more comfortable package.

czdan,I'm building a sport now. I got it because we have the 16 & 17 and we like them both.I'm looking forward to trying the sport. it may seem crazy to build before trying, but the anticipation is like having a lotto ticket in your pocket, and I dont think eric schade would release an under preformer. If you live near mid michigan you're welcome to try mine in august.

Hey Laszlo! Did John just call you a stooge? ;-)

Never one to take my own advise I must admit that I didn't paddle the SW17 before I built it and I haven't paddled an Auk 14 yet...geez, maybe I'm the stooge.

Dan 

I paddled a SW Sport in Mystic and liked it.  Didn't seem to be effected by windage, and was manuverable.  I only paddled a longer boat once, and I prefer a little shorter length for manuverability, and it looks like a real hoot to be in surf. It fit me nicely, being 195lbs, 6' tall with size 11 feet. I am seriously considering a SW Sport Hybrid for a winter project.  The other choice is a petral strip built, as a work of art. I just need to figure out where I am going to be.

Nyuck nyuck nyuck - I'm trying to paddle but nothing happens.

How big are you? The only complaints I've heard about the SW 17 are about cockpit comfort.  I'm 5'8", 155 lbs, and my SW 17's cockpit feels just right for me.

I really like the looks of the Sport. When or will plans be available?

Thanks guys. I really should try them on for size I guess ... wouldn't buy shoes without trying them on ;)

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.