Outer stems...regular carpenters glue or epoxy?

I am attempting to put an outer stem on my Night Heron bow and stern, even though it already has an inner stems. I have ripped some cedar to do the laminations for the stems to a thickness of about 1/8 inch, planed all the surfaces to accept the wood, and I have dry fitted the pieces to help them bend into place overnight.

In Nick's book (Strip-Built Sea Kayak, p. 100) he suggests using  regular carpenters glue, and somewhere else I have read that epoxy should be used.

Which do I need to use, regular carpenters glue (i.e., titebond) or some of the MAS epoxy that came with my kit?

Chris F

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Outer stems...regular carpenters glue or epoxy?

I used epoxy.

Dan

I have added outside stems successfully both ways, most recently with epoxy. The beauty of thickened epoxy is it will fill any gaps and assure a complete bond, downside is it it is messy. If you can get good, consistent contact without gaps and can clamp it down evenly, Titebond III will do fine. Contrary to the advise of others about using 'glue', I coat both surfaces throughly with a thin film of Titebond III, wait a minute or two & then clamp it as tight as possible. Then, use clean water on a rag or something to clean up/finish the exposed edges. Works for laminating paddles as well.

Lew 

I didn't mention that my outer stems are going on my Night Heron just after I have closed up the hull, and nothing else has been done (i.e., no sanding, no deck, etc.). I thought it was at this stage that I could add the outer stems, contrary to Nick's video, where he adds the stem at the end after the deck and the hull have been joined.

The books are great, but experience from others can yield valuable insights to help to read between the lines of what is understood but not mentioned.

Thanks in advance again,

Chris F

Ok, I bonded my outer stems with MAS epoxy, and maybe tomorrow they should be cured enough to plane to rough shape.

More later,

Chris F

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.