Hatch Toggles keep sticking to deck

Im having a terrible issue with my flush hatch toggles sticking to the deck.  I have to fight with them to turn them because they keep getting stuck to the surface.  I coated the toggles with epoxy however I did not varnish those.  Has anyone had this experience and do you know of a fix?

Thanks

Adam

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Hatch Toggles keep sticking to deck

Adam,

Did you varnish the deck?

Reasons I can think of for th esticking:

1. There's some kind of contamination on the toggles. Try taking them off and scrubbing them with soap and warm water

2.  The epoxy on the bottom of the toggles is vey smooth and "welds" itself to the deck. Try lightly wetsanding the toggles with #400paper, just enough to take the gloss off the bottom.

3. The varnish is not fully cured yet and the pressure of the hatch cover pushes the toggles into the soft varnish which then flows and seals around the toggles. Wait a few weeks for the varnish to finish curing.

4. #3 happened in the past and the varnish is now cured with ridges that capture the toggles. Wet sand with #400 paper to remove the ridges.

Best I can do without seeing pictures, hope this helps.

Good luck,

Laszlo

Coat the underside of the toggle with bee's wax...   ~BRUCE~

Had the same issue on my Ducks. I went to the hardware store and bought some Nylon/delrin washers to fit on the toggles bolts between toggle and deck, this made a huge difference. BTW all of the above are all good input.

David

FYI- the delrin toggles sold by CLC don't stick to my Wood Duck.

Rod

washers worked for mine too,I used stainless. they work even better a year later.

Cut your own washers out of a plastic soda bottle. It's very thin and it's free...

All that money and work to NOT have a Soda Bottle Kayak. I just dont think I could use a soda bottle for my washers!!

Actually, its not a bad idea!

David

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.