Great Auk 14

After a break for a month and a half I finally got the first strips on the deck of boat #3. 

It's raining today so it's back to the boat cave to glue some more on.

Dan 

33 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Great Auk 14

Looks great.  I'm considering a GA 14 after a Shearwater Sport H.  Do you have any more pics you could share?

Joe

There are more here....

https://picasaweb.google.com/danielthaler/GreatAuk14#

(for some reason I still can't get the hyperlink thingie to work on my mac)

Dan 

Here's another. I'm still mulling over the deck pattern 

A few more sticks glued on...

I think I've figured it out 

Looking Great Dan.  Keep posting photos of your progress.  I am one of your biggest fans.

Lou

Here's another...

There's a theme developing here..

1-I'm sick of bending and twisting strips

2- some sort of weird homage to Chris Craft 

Dan, I have built both the 14 and 17 Auk. I understand the statement " Sick of bending and twisting Strips." I notice very few staples are you using hot glue?

Hagen

No hot glue, but lots of plywood U clips

Dan,

That looks pretty cool, and I will consider using it on my Night Heron deck, because I am sick of bending and twisting strips (I bent and twisted all of my hull strips with no cheaters)...lots of work!

Good work, and thanks for the pics,

Chris F

Here's another...

I put it in the slings so I could get a side view. I'm pretty much winging the deck pattern and some of the spacing is a little off, but I think the overall effect is ok 

Off the forms...

Now time to scrape and sand 

Cockpit cut...

That's a big cockpit! I'll probably be adding knee braces

I decided that the cockpit as above is too freaking huge so I decided to do a full recess and make the width smaller by an inch or so (still need to sketch it out). Here it is roughed in and the deck rough sanded...

2011-08-14_15-59-55_878.jpg

Looks GREAT Dan.

I have been kayaking every chance I get so I have not been working on the kayaks at all this summer.  But soon it will be time to build again.

Keep up the good work and thanks for posting photos.

Lou

Underside of deck 'glassed

All glass on and trimmed. Test fit and photo op.

Looks Great Dan !!!

Is the light colored wood Alasaka yellow cedar ?

Lou

Good question, Lou. It's whatever CLC supplied with the kit. Eastern white or Alaskan, not sure

Hello to all of you.

I just picked up the plans for the Great Auk 14.  I'm an old time boat builder (40 years).   Hobby only.  Sail and Canoe only.  Dan, I went to your website with your pictures of the boat.  Very helpful.  In just looking at the plans (with minimal instruction), I wonder how you determine the placement of the cockpit?  Also, what width cedar strip did you folks find best to use.  On some of the pictures I have seen of this boat, the strips appear bigger than what I am use to when building a cedar strip canoe.

This is a link to some of the boats I've done in the past.  Right now, I am working on a 15 foot ranger with my youngest son (I have 4 sons and each one builds a boat with me when they reach 14), a 12 foot bullseye (nice cat rig sail boat) and a 17 foot trimaran. 

Thanx for letting me join in your conversation.  I am sure I will have questions as I move along.  

Jeff,

The cockpit location is pretty much determined by the form shape and the dimensions in the plans. I found it to be quite huge and reduced it by about an inch and a half overall by doing a full recess.

The strips are 1/4 by 3/4 bead and cove as supplied with the kit.

Dan 

Time for much sanding, a little bit more glass, then glue the sucker together..

Looks  Great Dan !!!  Nice lay out of colors. 

Now that the kayak season is coming to an end, I plan to start building again soon.

The Petrel is about half done and I would like to start a Great Auk this winter.

Keep up the good work.

Lou

All together now!

Third coat of epoxy...

Looking good, Dan! Gonna get it in the water before winter?

Is it an optical illusion, or is there no aft bulkhead?

Cheers, Pat

No aft bulkhead yet, Pat. I have a foam one cut and ready to go in. Once the bottom is coated I could probably splash it. The water is still warm here.

Dan

Couldn't do this with the longer boats....

End pour in the stairwell

Varnished enough and rigging on....done!

Very nice looking craft. How did you seal the slots for the deck rigging loops?

Another great looking kayak Dan !!!  Very nice, great colors, well done.

Lou

Beaker, I didn't. The flanges on the underside should keep out most of the water and there is no forward bulkhead anyway. All the instructions I've read call for silicone sealer, but I decided to skip it. I can always do it later if I get too wet. Lou, Thanks. Looks like I'll get to see if it floats on Saturday...

It floats!

I think I will be sealing those loop slots and getting a neoprene spray skirt that fits. The cockpit is a bit larger than our Shearwaters and only my old nylon spray skirt fit and I did take on some water

Dan,

Your smile says it all.

Have a great time with it.

Lou

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.