Is 3" too short for the Copper Wire used for stitch and glue - Annapolis Wherry

Can anyone advise. Just about to start construction of my Wherry but my manual says to use 3" copper wire. I cannot see how this can be right. The hole has to be 0.5" from the edge, so when wiring the 2 No1 planks together, this means that 1" of the 3" is gone straight away. To cut a long story short, the remaining wire is simply not long enough. Of course I can just cut longer lengths but I just want to make sure I am not making a very basic mistake. Can anyone help? Thanks

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Is 3" too short for the Copper Wire used for stitch and glue - Annapolis Wherry

I found most were fine at 3", but there were about 25% or so I needed to make 4" and some 5" in order to feed it through and back out.  I would cut a bunch, 20 or so, and then see if you need to adjust. 

RE: Is 3" too short for the Copper Wire used for stitch and glue - Annapolis Wherry

As above, but it is sometimes easier to thread a little longer wire in the tougher/tighter spots requiring bending the wire such as in the far aft or bow.

Cut the pieces longer - it's a lot easier to work with longer pieces and you'll save a lot of time. Either way, you will run out of wire before you run out of holes. Pick up some 18-gauge wire at your local hardware store before you run out. A 25-foot spool should run about $3. -Wes

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.