Can't wait to get started

I have always loved being on the water, whether cruising on a deck boat or paddling a canoe.  I am looking to build my own craft and have some questions as to how feasible it is for a newbie to accomplish this.  My goal is to build a 10-17 foot kit kayak that is suitable for recreation and fishing on a variety of water bodies; small lakes (local water reservoirs 300- 1000 acres) to large lakes (Lake Hartwell, Lake Sinclair).  I would like to start in the early fall (2011) and have it completed by summer (2012).

1) Do I need any formal training in woodworking or have an extended amount of experience in woodworking?

2) What tools will I need?

3) Do the kits come with instructions that are detailed enough where someone with no experience could do a good job and build a craft that will last for many years?

If I am leaving out any important aspects please enlighten me, as I am new to this.  Any info you can share would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Can't wait to get started

Any of CLC's stitch and glue recreational kayak kits should serve your purpose. You don't need any woodworking training. You will need patience, perseverence, and attention to detail, though. CLC's instructions are very detailed, the staff is responsive, and this forum will give you feedback whenever you need it.

For tools, you will need a small electric drill, a good quality 5" random orbit sander, a shop vacuum, and the usual small hand tools (pliers, screwdrivers, hammer, etc. Scissors to cut the fiberglass cloth. A utility knife with extra blades). A low-angle Stanley hand plane is worth the investment, and their Surfoam planes are handy. Pick up 20 or more of Home Depot's 99-cent spring clamps. A respirator will save your lungs from damage by dust and varnish fumes, as well as epoxy sensitivity.

Plan to spend $100 or more on sandpaper, varnish, chip brushes, mixing cups and sticks, nitrile gloves, and other disposable supplies. Get some large pieces of corrugated cardboard to protect your floor. Wear old clothes, including long-sleeve shirts, and shoes that stay in the shop. Dispose of all of them at the end of the job.

Check out my kayak building pages at www.twofootartist.com

-Wes

The biggest mistakes beginners make is working with epoxy. Mix less than you think you need at a time, measure very carefully (don't rely on the pumps) and mix two or three times as long as you think is enough. Also get into the corners or your mixing cup. Make your fillets fairly small and keep the epoxy coats thin to keep weight down and to assure you have enough resin to finish the job.

RE: Can't wait to get started

I second everything that Wes stated above.  I am finishing a Wood Duck 12 Hybrid.  I have had great support from CLC and purchased the Zen of Wooden Kayak building before I started my Wood Duck. I watched the video several times bfore opening the boxes. I also went to a Demo day last fall that was very helpful in deciding which boat to build.

I live in Canton MI.  It sounds like you might be close and if you want a close up look come on over and check out the build.

Rod Jenkins

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.