wood duck 10 hybrid kayak launch

here are a few pictures of my Wood Duck build and launch i built over the winter months.

...if you would like to see pictures of the build here my wood duck site:

http://memorial.50webs.com/ 

-Billy 

ready for fit out my wife out for the first paddle in her wood duck!launch day!

8 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: wood duck 10 hybrid kayak launch

Great looking kayak !!!

Well done, Have a blast.

Lou

Looks great Billy!! Now all that time pays off. Good job.

thanks for the kudo's guys.  finally got a chance to paddle it today as my wife reluctantly turned it over to me telling me not to break or scratch it. told her i'd build her another one if i did ...might be just the answer to get another kayak project going  :-) the wood duck is a beautiful little boat to paddle, maneuvers like a dream as you poke around along the shoreline and great fun to surf on the boat wakes. 

-Billy 

The boat looksgreat.  How long did it take you?

Thanks TroutA -

it took 3 winter months working most evenings. the S&G hull came together in no time. i found that the rolling bevels on the deck were slight, so very little bevel had to be addressed to the strips compared to my Guillemot Expedition build - except maybe around the cockpit area. figure the hours to completion are about 140

-Billy 

I like your painted wave. Is that a graphite/expoy hull or just black paint?

thanks Ralph- the painted wave was my solution to the scarf joint. i was going to paint the entire hull dark green (Interlux Perfection) but my wife liked the wood topsides. the graphite bottom is one i might try on my next kayak. I  had used the Perfection Plus on my other kayak and it held up well last season so went back with that ...very easy to touch up too. have you tried the graphite/epoxy?  

No I haven't tried the graphite/epoxy, though after scratching up my boat the last two summers I have thought of it. But I sanded a little over the winter & just pianted over the scratches (they still show through some).

I painted the bottom blue w/ white sides. The deck is varnished. If you go to the main WD12 page mine is the 3rd photo in the "main gallery". It was one of the early WD12 completed.

I would like to try the Shearwater Sport or Sass 12 but it is not in the ($, time, wife/family) budget currently.

Ralph

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.