Madness

John, 

Just love Madness,  an inspiration t us all.

Having been intrigued by Proas for some time, I look forward to hearing how Madness performs.

One question on the design criterior.  Is she designed for in-shore /coastal or out to sea?  Those  lightweight bulkhead look amazing, but at the small increase in weigth, could be watertight bulkheads.  Is there any floatation foam?  Any thoughts on the dreaded subject of capsize retrieval?

Interesting to hear you view on resitance of the rudder / boards to collision.  On the subject I have considered, rather than placing the trunk centrally, it is against one side,  such that the side of the hull is formed by the trunk. The whole held in by very strong elastic.  Could actually be easier to build.

1 reply:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Madness

>>>One question on the design criterior.  Is she designed for in-shore coastal or out to sea? 

This boat is designed for coastal cruising or island hopping.  I don't think there are ANY 1000-pound multihulls "designed for offshore sailing" by definition, though many people do it anyway.  I won't be one of them.

>>>Those  lightweight bulkhead look amazing, but at the small increase in weigth, could be watertight bulkheads.  Is there any floatation foam?>>>>

There are several watertight bulkheads, designed to handle the very high torsional loads of a multihull.  They aren't lightweight at all---they are very heavily fiberglassed.  

>>>Any thoughts on the dreaded subject of capsize retrieval?

If you capsize any 31-foot multihull---trimaran, catamaran, or proa---you're going to need outside help.  My plan is to not capsize.  

>>>>Interesting to hear you view on resitance of the rudder / boards to collision.  On the subject I have considered, rather than placing the trunk centrally, it is against one side,  such that the side of the hull is formed by the trunk. The whole held in by very strong elastic.  Could actually be easier to build.>>>>>

The foils on Madness will endure a collision as well any other boat of similar weight and power.  The trunks couldn't be oriented against the side of the boat as the sides are curving inwards towards the bow at that location, and flaring outwards.  They'll only work on the hull centerlines.

Got the cabin top 'glassed last night.  Picking up a trailer tomorrow; soon the boat heads out for finish work!

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.