cartopping Eastport pram

Does anyone have any experience doing this on a small SUV like a Honda CR-V? I have a pretty standard roof rack with a 28" spread between the bars and they're 50" wide. With a beam of 48" I'm concerned I'd be pushing it. The max beam may not fall anywhere near the bars so it may not be an issue. I'd love to know any thoughts or experiences before I embark on a second build. If this isn't a feasible option I'm inclined to trailer a Passagemaker. I love my CH17LT! Any help is greatly appreciated.

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: cartopping Eastport pram

I think its time to get a trailer.  I have a standard utility trailer I use.  Adapt it to fit your boat.

Kim

Hello Patrick,

The weights of the Eastport and the Passagemaker are both well within the limits for cartopping. It's usually possible to mount wider rack bars if that is a necessity. Longer hulls (such as your CH17LT) are often easier for a solo boater to get on and off of roof racks, so if you want to cartop a Passagemaker, that is another possibility. Cartopping versus trailering depends on your particular circumstances.

Grant 

My point of view comes from what is easier.  A car top could easily take double what it weights.  But I think aerodynamically it is not a good idea.  Plus the bulkiness and weight of lifting is not easy.  Especially if done by one person.

Kim

I regularly cartop (trucktop, actually) a 12 ft. sailing dinghy. No problems with the aerodynamics and I don't notice any difference in my weekly gas mileagefor a single weekend boat trip.

I have a set of wheels that the transom fits into which lets me hold the boat by the bow and roll it around. (Back when I had a Sabot [about the same size as an Eastport Pram] I used to just carry it short distances an my back like a turtle shell).

To get it up onto the truck I lean the bow against the rear rack and clip a line to the bow to secure the boat. Then, with 1/2 the boat's weight supported by the truck, I go around back, squat, grab the transom and lift with my legs (not my back). The boat slides up on top of the truck and it's time to use the ratchet straps to secure it. I never have to lift more than 60 lbs, max.

I'm in the same position as Patrick in that the boat's max beam is approaching the width of the bars. You might be able to see the aluminum stops at the ends of the bars which keep the boat from falling off as it's pushed up onto the racks.

The nylon straps in the front go through the  daggerwell and do the bulk of the work holding the boat in place. The single rear strap simply keeps the stern from vibrating around.

Kim's point of view is a good one. Cartopping is not for everyone. A trailer can be faster and it's definitely easier on the arms, especially after a long day of rowing. It also avoids the problem of flipping the boat over. But FWIW, I wouldn't hesitate to cartop an Eastport Pram.

Laszlo

Thanks for your input everyone. I really appreciate all the advice/thoughts from folks who know a lot more about this than I do! I'm still undecided but this gives me lots of food for thought. Happy paddling/sailing/rowing!

Patrick

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.