Boat Stands for my Strip-Built Sea Kayak

My Night Heron kit is now on its way, and I have made the boat stands per the plans on page 72 of Nick Schade's "The Strip-Built Sea Kayak"...there go my free weekends...lol!

My question is directed to anyone that has made and used these stands.

I am 5 ft. 9 in., and the boat stands are at 36 inches(without the strongback), would this allow me to do my work comfortably, or should I make the stands adjustable before my kit arrives?

I don't want the work to be too high or too low, and suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated!

I know people have many ideas of what they should have done before running into problems before they happen, so here's your chance to help me out before I put my strongback up above the 36" mark, and later realize it should be something higher or lower.

Thanks in advance!

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Boat Stands for my Strip-Built Sea Kayak

I'm 5'9" (and shrinking) and those stands as built worked just fine for me

Dan 

Thanks for your help, Dan.

Also, do I need to afix the strongback to the stands?

I think so, but I don't remember reading that in Nick's book.

Wife thinks she'll be replaced by my new boat, but I told her "it's a strip-built sea kayak" not a stripper!

I had to notch out the tops of the stands more to accommodate the CLC strongback

Thanks for the tips Dan!

Hey, should these two points of support (2 boat stands) be enough for my work, and where should they be placed on the strongback to give the best weight distribution for my work?

Silly questions I know, but more serious ones will follow once I start to put things together this weekend!

Kit is being delivered today...super...!

I used 2 stands lengthwise (4 points of support). I spaced them more or less evenly along the length of the boat, avoiding the forms of course. This is for working on the hull. Now that I've flipped it over to work on the deck I turned the stands 90 degrees, put piece of wood in the notches and put some foam on that. Here's the pix so far....

https://picasaweb.google.com/danielthaler/GreatAuk14# 

Thanks Dan!

I got my Night Heron at 4:00 pm yesterday, and had the strongback glued and nailed to dry overnight by 9:00 pm.

I think I'll try your set up so that I will have somewhere to put the strips waiting to be put on the hull. Looks like the strongback is more supported in that set up also...good idea.

Going to set the forms today!

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.