Greenland style paddle view

Hi Guys

Nearing completion of my Shearwater 17, very excited however would like to know your view point my paddle choice

Do I go for a greenland style paddle or glass fibre more modern style.. Are the Greenland that much better. If I choose the Greenland I will make it if I can source the wood as availbality is not great in the UK for Western Red Ceder.

Welcome your thoughts

Cooperman

9 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Greenland style paddle view

Better? That's pretty subjective. I definitely prefer Greenland paddles, but there's nothing wrong with a well shaped ergonomic carbon fiber Euro.

But, you can build a GP in 3-4 hours with simple hand tools, for only the cost of a 2x4x8' board. Do some research on the net, or get Brian Nystrom's book. It's easy, fun, satisfying, and you end up with a great paddle and a new building addiction.

Many woods are suitable for paddle making - light weight is why cedar is usually used. Find whatever is lightest in your area (other than balsa!) and try it.

Good luck!

I found enough info online to carve a Greenland Paddle.  One good tip is start with a 2x10 or 2x12, then rip a 2x4 out you will have a much better time of finding a 2x4 that is knot free.

this is what I am using as my guide, about 50% done :)

as for preference, borrow one of each and give them a try.  If you cannot borrow, then carve a GP, and if you do not like it you have not lost much money.  Also they make a great spare strapped to the deck.  If you get into long tripping, the common recommendation is to use both as they each work a different set up muscles. 

I'm working on carving a Greenland paddle using the instructions from Chuck Holst (printed instructions) and Matt Johnson (video link)  found on this web site:

http://www.qajaqusa.org/Equipment/paddles.html

It's a fun project.  Have never tried one before, but for the cost of a clear cedar 2 x 4 (found 2 nice ones at a local lumber yard - one advantage to living in the Pacific Northwest) I figure it's not a big deal if I don't like it.   I have a very nice, expensive Werner carbon fiber bent shaft paddle that I also like.  I've found that a lighter paddle really helps, so I decided it was a good place to invest the money - I did get it used, but it was still very pricey.

Kathy

Hey Coop...  I have built two Greenland paddles so far.  The second one has spooned blades and custom drip rings.  I laminated mine using spruce & fir with mahogany edges & tips.

I prefer the Greenland design to the more modern european design because of the reduced windage.  It might take an extra stroke or two to get going from a standing/floating start, but after that it seem the same motivation for less effort.  My only complaint is they are much wetter.  That is why I devised custom drip rings and all is now well...   Both paddles took me about 8 hours total (each) to build and they are VERY good looking. I applied unthickened epoxy to the bare wood, then sanded & applied 4 coats of varnish.

Please feel free to email me and I'll send a few photos back.  My email name is tugbruce and my server is Gmail with a dot com.    ~BRUCE~ 

After you break a couple store paddles...you may want to make your own.  I'm happy owning a few gps I see for sale at $300 which I made out of a $25 2x4.

Kim

They are easy to make and lets face it they are so much cooler then those other paddle thingies

I've paddle my Shearwater Hybrid with both but after a long day I feel better with the Greenland stick. I made one of paulownia wood and it came in a 19 oz., about the same as a commercial carbon one that would have cost $300 +. It has a little too much flex so I'm building one with a layer of 6 oz. carbon tape laminated in the middle. If you can get paulownia use it, it's the lightest thing around. SEEYA Jack

I made my paulownia thick for my larger hands and long.  28 oz.  Compared to 45 oz. red cedar.  I let a friend borrow it and he jokingly complained he had to use too much force to sink it in the water.

Kim

The GP just goes great with your wood kayak.  If you've got the skills to complete a boat than a GP will be easy for you!  Google Greenland Paddles For Sale and you can see some of the great designs out there.  I think the paddles made from laminating pieces of cedar, pine, cherry, etc into a 'blank' 2x4 then making the paddle are so much nicer.  I like that you can accurately customize the thickness and shape of the paddle shaft to match your grip!  Be careful, you'll get hooked!   TIM

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.