air spaces under fiberglass and expoxy

Thanks for your help in the past.  I'm building a Chesapeake 16 from a kit, and for the most part, so far, so good.  This past wknd I completed the fillets on  the inside, layed the fiberglass tape and wetted with untreated epoxy.  As this was my first experience with glass/expoxy I think the mistake I made was to not apply enough pressure as I brushed, or I used too little epoxy, but the problem is untreated wood/air alongside the fillets, mostly the fillet running down the center of the boat, but others as well.  It's in too many places for me to do one fix, like drilling two holes and inerting epoxy, so I was thinking of lightly sanding those areas before brushing the entire interior with untreated expoxy.  I thought I might be able to open the weave this way and get some additional epoxy to the wood. Any thoughts on that solution, or any other suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Marty

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: air spaces under fiberglass and expoxy

Marty,

Any chance of some pictures?

Chances are that light sanding will not open the weave enough to get epoxy to the wood. You'd pretty much have to sand through the glass.

Again, some pictures if you can manage it would help us understand the magnitude of the problem and let intelligently suggest fixes.

Laszlo

Unfortunately, glassing on the inside is done first, and that's harder than glassing the outside.  But there is the bonus that you'll have a little glassing under your belt by the time you glass the outside.  The inside is harder because when you squeegie the glass to spread or minimize the epoxy, you pull the glass out from the corners and seams.  If you've glassed the inside of almost anything that has a seam/corner, you've run up against that problem.  Laszlo's trying to figure out how much air you have trapped.  Filling with epoxy is costly (weight, $$$, and brittleness).  You might need to sand through all of the air spots, fair the edges, and add small patches.  Then sand smooth.  If your glass isn't in contact with your fillets, you're going to lose some strength.  The good news is it's all easy to fix, just takes a little more time.  If you are careful with your fix, your kayak will be as strong as anyone else's, and you'll be the only one who knows.  Good luck.

I don't understand" untreated epoxy" what is that , never heard that phrase before

If it's really bad get a heat gun and use it to peel the tape off. The strength of the joint is greatest when the tape is tight against the wood. Epoxy is heavier than water. You don't want a lot of excess in your hull.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.