Outfitted for fishing?

Anybody out there outfitted a WD 12 for fishing? Just looking for ideas before joining deck to hull. I have thought thru the trolley/anchor system but since I will be mostly fly fishing I have to come up with a paddle holder that is not in the way and also a rod holder while paddling.My other kayaks are sit-on tops which makes all this much simpler. I do not think I will be taking this yak out on the flats by the inlet so standing up  probably will not be necessary. Appreciate any thoughts and /or photos

12 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Outfitted for fishing?

make a boat hook instead of an anchor trolley. get your dowel ,drill a hole through a small block at a 45 angle [theres plans for one in an old wooden boat magazine , if you need more info i'll look it up]

Not familar with a "boat hook."..please send info if possible...you can pm me if you like...thanks

My first woodduck 12 is fitted out for fishing. I tend to troll alot so I use an anchor but I do use a padle and rod bungee on each side of the cockpit and a rod holder.  I carved a padle park on the wifes hybrid deck.

Those are very nice boat hooks....I guess I am having a senior moment....how do they work for positioning the anchor?

The advantage of the trolley is that you can angle your kayak off of the wind by varying the attachment point of the anchor. For example you want the wind at your back (stern) to cast. With the boat hook you are limited to pointing into the wind with the anchor off the bow or stern, using the hook to retrieve the anchor.  A comprimise is to use a single line with a stainless steel ring tied to one end, with the anchor line passing through the ring. By tying the line to a point inside the cockpit you have a convenient way to retieve your anchor and can vary your angle a little. With either of the last two methods you have to decide where to tie off your anchor before you launch (Bow or Stern).

Yes jnjclark..all of my sit-on tops have an anchor trolley....most of the time I have the anchor amidships because of wind and current...the boat hook idea sort of limits your options, this morning the wind shifted 180 degrees, so I would have been screwed w/o the trolley since i am fly fishing.Still struggling with a plan for transporting fly rod while paddeling since I want as little as possible on the deck....I guess I really just need to finish it and go out and see what works, I am sure of one thing : I will be alot warmer in these cold months than I am right now!

I was throwing my last post out there for the guys that were questioning the boat hook. I have neverf actually used a trolley. So, my question would be clarification, why would you want your anchor off your beam? That would put you in the most vulnerable position. Thanks.

I made a removable shelf that I can attach near the front of the cockpit. I  then attached a small rod holder (Berkeley Quick set) to this shelf. It is easy to reach while sitting in the WD12. I just haven't tried it out on the fish yet.

I use an anchor trolley and usually pull it all the way to the bow (or stern). I reckon the main benefit is you can lower and raise your anchor over the side right next to you, especially when it's a bit stuck. Only occaisonally a combination of wind and current make it useful to vary the position.

Re getting anchor un-stuck: I use a small folding grapple anchor, rope is secured to bottom end of anchor, a small cable tie goes around the rope and through the eye at upper end of the anchor. More than once I have gotten snagged in rocks and simply give a good tug to break the cable tie and get my anchor and warp back! Much safer, and cheaper. A small supply of cable ties lives in my anchor pack.

cheers Dave

Thanks for all the feedback...have some idea on how I will proceed...for the record, since I freshwater fish on small lakes and SLOW moving rivers I sometimes have my anchor amidships so I can flycast perpendicular the banks and grassy patches when breezes deem it necessary...but never anchor that way in fast moving current..you are right , that is asking for it.

i never considered anchoring to the side, im usual in the ocean and anchoring from the side doesnt work too well with waves

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.