stitch and glue

I have dicided to do a stich and glue to put my yatch tender together in shop and was wondering what to use for the stiches.

I have heard a few things copper wire stianles steel wire and heavy fishing line

I'm not realy sure on the last one but was wondering if it would work

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: stitch and glue

I ordered some copper wire from CLC and have it on hand for my future projects. However, for the ten foot skiff that I started building last summer, I used some steel bailing wire that I had kicking around. It is a lot stiffer than copper wire, so was probably a bit more difficult to work with, but it would also be stronger. Towards the bow, a lot of tension was need to pull everything together.

Try some very small zip ties.  they are very strong and very fast to work with. you might have to redrill holes. Some may say the holes are not attractive, but that is a opinion. good luck

Just remember that you want the stitch to break before the wood does, otherwise it may tear out the hole. If you're leaving the stitches in, you'll want something that doesn't rust or corrode.

Fishing line will work, but it's not as convenient as wire or zip ties. You'll be doing lots of knotting and they can't be simple knots because of how slippery nylon line is. With zip ties or fishing line you'll have to cut the stitch and put in a new one to reduce tension. Wire you can usually just untwist a bit.

Copper is easiest on the fingers when twisting, but any wire will give you a bloody fingertip if you happen to jab the cut end. Steel wires do best with pliers and leather gloves.

Around here copper is still the cheapest wire, especially if you buy a bulk spool and are willing to strip it yourself. Zip ties are the cheapest all around. You can buy them by the thousands at the electrical sections of DIY stores.

Then, in addition to what the guys mentioned above, there's the option of CYA glues (CrazyGlue, etc.) for tacking the parts together instead of stitching them. In that case there's no holes to drill and no stitches to remove.

Have fun,

Laszlo

Thanks for all the info and I think I will try the zip ties becase the are the cheapest and sound like they are easy to work with

Thanks again

Salamander

Thanks for all the info and I think I will try the zip ties becase the are the cheapest and sound like they are easy to work with

Thanks again

Salamander

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.