wood duck 12 hybrid deck

I am about to start the deck and have seen and talked to a few builders about various ways to attach the first strip on the outer edge of the deck.  Any preferences out there?  I am leaning towards finishing nails hammered into the temporary bulkheads, pre drilling the holes first.  The king plank looks like it will require a few nails also.  After that I want to use no nails or staples just clamps and pieces of wood to hold strips in place while the glue dries.

Finishing nails vs staples......any comments?

It seems like the first strip requires quite a bit of bending to conform to the hull.  Will the cedar strip bend without breaking or should I consider heating or steaming the strip?

Any other hybrid deck costruction travel tips?

Rod

Check out my progess at http://rodskayakadventure.blogspot.com

8 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: wood duck 12 hybrid deck

The strips will take that contour just fine. The issue I have is that the particle board does not hold staples well. Use the longest you can find. I used brads into the shearclamp on my SW17h, but since you don't have one you might want to use a combination of tape and U clips.

Dan 

Rod,

Hot glue works if you do not want to use nails or staples.  When you are done, a soft blow with a rubber hammer will break the form away.

If you clamp one end of the strip to the table, you can bend or twist the other end. Then use an iron or heat gun to heat the bend.  After cooling the bend will stay.

Keep up the good work,  It's looking great.

Lou

Lou,

I used brads on my hybrid 10.  Later, after removing the nails I filled the holes with toothpicks, cut them off and sanded flush.

I had a lot of trouble bending the cedar strips, and they tended to break at the scarf joint.  Try to position your scarf joint at a point on the hull where there will be less stress.

Since I don't have a heat gun, I bought PVC pipe with an end cap. I soaked the strips in hot water till they were easy to bend.  This worked very well!

Good luck.

Rich

Thanks Dan, Lou and Rich

I have a pvc pipe with an end cap that I use for soaking bamboo strips prior to straightening when I am making bamboo flyrods. I also have a heat gun that I will try. 

Rich, did the tooth picks disappear when you epoxyed the deck?

Lou, when you hit the deck with a rubber hammer did any strips come unglued?

How do you get the glue off of the hull after you take the temporary bulkheads out?

Rod

I tried to find cedar toothpicks but no luck.  The holes filled with picks were a touch darker than the rest of the deck, but it actually looks kind of cool.

Also, at least the holes are filled with wood, not just epoxy.

By the way, when the time comes, to remove the deck for glassing underneath, make a really supportive cradle.  When I was ready to attach the deck to the hull, the deck had spread a bit and after removing the deck forms, the hull contracted a bit.  Between the two, I had way too much overhang and had to plane  too much wood for a good fit. This changed the shape of my sheer strip in a way I was not crazy about.

There are old posts that address this issue.

Rich

Please look at my one of my older posts regarding the hull springing inward after the forms were removed. If you are building a hybrid, this might be a concern.

» Submitted by barry parkoff - Wed, March 31 » 10:35 PM

Just an update. I put the frames back in, and that solved the problem. The hull came back to the original shape and I spot tacked the deck on with hot glue. Then I reached in to remove the frames, glassed the deck to the hull, and only had to trim off about 1/16 -1/8" of sheer for the deck to become flush with the hull. That was my original overlap, so needless to say I was pleased. Today, I sanded the deck in preparation to start glassing.

Rod,

Tap the FORMS with the rubber hammer, NOT THE DECK.

You can remove the hot glue from the hull with a very sharp wood chisel. Some times you can get the chisel under the hot glue and pop it off with a lifting motion.

We talked about glueing the hull to the deck when you were over to my place. If you have any trouble, I can come over to lend a hand.

Lou

Lou

Thanks for the offer.  I will probably not be ready to glue the deck on until after New Years and I will give you a call.  This forum is great, lots of good ideas and very nice to get other builders ideas and shared knowledge. 

Thank You and Merry Christmas to all you strippers and stitch and gluers!!

Rod

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.