Plywood Label

I've just started to layout parts for my 17LT kit, picking the pretty sides and found that one stern piece has sticker residue on both sides.  One side is from the packing tape and the other's from the plywood sheet label.

I know I'll sand both sides but is there a way (or need) to safely remove the residue before sanding? 

8 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Plywood Label

I had sticker and tape residue on one or two pieces. After final sanding, it was totally gone.

Mark

Gently sand it off. Be careful of using solvents. I have a recurring problem on one of my boats- blistering when exposed to sun/heat in one area. I think the problem area was exposed to acetone or paint thinner which must have saturated the wood before glassing. Not noticeable until much later.

Lew

Thanks guys.  I'll make sure to sand carefully, I was suspecting that solvents might do more harm in the long run.  

Using denatured alcohol or lacquer thinner is probably safe, since they're often recommended for cleaning surfaces before applying epoxy. Not sure which, if either, would dissolve your adhesives though.

Grant

alcohol or lacquer thinner is good with a white scotch brite pad. neither will attack glue. sounds like you're using okume. african mahog by french mill

used in israeli biz jets. go figure 

Plywood label (and a dent)

This is an old post, but I have much the same question, and wonder if someone might have more experience with this now as there seemed to be a differnce of opinion of the effects of a solvent.

I have some okuome that I've had for maybe 7 years. There was a mastic tape label on it, which I removed probably at least 5 years ago. But the wood is darker where the tape was. And I can feel some residue.

My first thought is denatured alcohol, as some have suggested. But won't that "drive" sone dissolved glue into the grain? 

I may try to scrape and then sand a little. But should I use alcohol before or after or not at all. 

The other option is using the other side, which to me has slightly better looking grain. But there is a dent in the wood. I'm going to try steam there, but it's a pretty abrupt (but small) dent, so not at all confident it can come out.

my experience is don't use any solvent.  scrape as much off (a chisel or razor blade scraper carefully used is good for this) and sand the rest off with a clean piece of 100 grit sandpaper by hand with a firm sanding block and be careful not to re-use that piece of sandpaper again. 

solvent, to your point,  will melt it and embed it in the wood making its ultimate removal more difficult and require more sanding.   using old sanpaper or a power sander will heat things up pushing the glue deeper into the wood.

anyway, that's how i deal with it and have not had any issues since learning the hard way.

h

Thank you!  

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.