Pocketship expenses

I am a novice, never built a boat from kit nor from scratch. I do have wood and intentions of building 2 Little Kate canoes, but have no idea of all the expenses involved in boat building. The Pocketship is a beautiful boat and just what I would love to have, and the kit, priced @ $3350 is affordable. Just how much more is involved with this? I know tools and such, but I am talking stuff not in the kit, like sails and such. How much more, in parts can I expect to spend to have me a sailing version completed? Thanks for any and all inputs.

John

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Pocketship expenses

About $900 for the sails (main & jib) and another $1000 or so for solid wood, lead, paint, varnish, hardware, rope, anchor, boathook, etc.

Then there's all the expendables - lots of sandpaper, gloves, dustmasks, brushes, rollers, etc.

And, I don't mean to be offensive, but since you're a first-timer you should probably allocate a bit extra in the glass, epoxy & filler department, too,

Not forgetting the shipping (750 lb pallet), I'd say you should probably budget something in the vicinity of $5500 -> $6000 minimum for the boat.

Don't forget that you'll be needing a trailer, too.

Laszlo

thanks, Laszlo, I would think many folks are wondering about this as well.  In addition to your list, what does the spec trailer cost? 

Sure thing, as long as everyone remembers that this is my seat of the pants estimate, not an official CLC number.

Sorry, but I have no idea what the trailer would cost. John had a nice top-of-the-line model at O-fest, easily $1000, probably more.

Laszlo

I have ordered the equivalent contents of the Pocketship kit from Noah's Marine for $2,779 CDN ( approximately $2300 US). Details are on my Pocketship blog at

http://pocketshipadventure.blogspot.com

I am still waiting for my plans but hope to keep the blog up to date as I progress through my first boatbuilding experience. 

Dave 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.