chesapeake 16...how much epoxy resin

hi new to this forum....great site.... and am looking at plans to build Chesapeake 16, the bill of materials states 1.5gal thats i think about 8kg, it seems rather a lot of resin for a 16 footer. can anyone who`s built this kayak confirm the amount of resin used and how.

much appreciated. tony

10 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: chesapeake 16...how much epoxy resin

I didn't build the chessy but my Northbay had plenty of extra (at 18' 7") and came with the same amount of epoxy as the chessies at the time, I believe.  The Chessies are wider than the northbay by about 2-3 inches and I believe a little bit taller, so the extra length of the Northbay probably evens out with the height and width additions on the chessies.  I'd say I probably had 1/4 - 1/3 of my epoxy and resin left when I completed my build.

FrankP

thanks frankp.... did you seal the whole of the inside of your Northbay with epoxy?

And when you sealed the exterior did you seal the ply prior to glassing as well as after? Im reading Stitch and Glue by Chris Kulczycki and thats what he seems to suggest im guessing that`s why so much resin is used

I built a Chessy 17 and used most of the 1.5gal of epoxy. It is nice to have a little extra epoxy just incase for mess ups of other things. You will use atleast a gallon if not more would my guess. I would recommed the 1.5gal they recommend.

thanks knitron... did you seal the whole of the inside of your Northbay with epoxy?

And when you sealed the exterior did you seal the ply prior to glassing as well as after? Im reading Stitch and Glue by Chris Kulczycki and thats what he seems to suggest im guessing that`s why so much resin is used

i mean your chesapeake 17....sorry

Most definitely seal the entire boat with epoxy and don't forget the underside of the deck. Use at least two coats on all surfaces not getting glassed and more on any unglassed surface that will be sanded and varnished. Think epoxy encapsulation. Epoxy seals water out but it can also hold water where epoxy is only on one side.

As far as pre-coating goes, this depends on your desired level of finish. If you want a super clear finish, precoat. Wood soaks up quite a bit of epoxy and by precoating you will reduce the amount of epoxy needed to saturate the cloth and the amount of effort needed to work the epoxy into the cloth. Excess "working" of the epoxy results in a lot of microbubbles in the weave. The subsequent cloudy finish is permanent. If you're painting, don't bother with precoating.

Hey Topcat:

Finished a Ches 16 in the spring and I bought a 1 gal of Resin, and 1/2 gal of slow hardener, bought another 1/2 gal of resin and a quart of medium to mix and speed things up, still have some of them left. I scrimped on the coating of the hull, only 3 coats and had a small patch where I sanded to the glass. 

The Pictures are posted here:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/576501980cddqOg

Have fun is the main thing,

Ted B

Personally I recommned not pre-coating the wood before fiberglass. I didn't pre-coat and it worked out great, didn't paint mine either, I don't know if it is true or not but I feel epoxying the fiberglass to the wood hull is a stronger bond than onto a pre-coated hull. I would think i would be less epoxy as well, with pre-cat you have a pre-coat and then three coats of epoxy to fill the weave of the glass.  Or if you didn't precaot it would be just three coats to fill the weave. Always coat your interior of your boat otherwise it can rot out. Hopefull that helps.

thanks for the info knitron, and Ted b i checked out the link to your photo`s you took of your build i like your attention to detail, i hope mine looks half as decent.

thanks again Tony 

To answer your question, I did coat the whole thing in epoxy.  It tends not to work out so well if you only coat one side of your panels.  I don't know if precoating is necessary, but some people think it helps.  I don't remember precoating any of my  panels before glassing, but I suspect I didn't because I tend to want to get things finished quickly.  I have now had my NB for about 7 years and other than being in the process of getting a new deck for the last year, she's in very good shape.

FrankP

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.