Epoxy curing advice in cooler weather.

Hi all, I am in need of an epoxy expert here. I built a 16 Shearwater in my garage using MAS. No problem heating, it went well. My dilemna is for my boat...the stantions for the bow rail (core) are wet/soft. I need to remove the bowrail, drill screw holes bigger, backplate underneath, fill with thickened epoxy and redrill, mount, install for the rail to be strong again. The problem is I must do this outside and heating the cabin, even under the tarp will be very difficult. I like using MAS. What recipe can I use for cooler weather? What is the coolest the epoxy will cure at? Would I use a faster cure or slower cure? Thanks for any help here. - Joe.

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Epoxy curing advice in cooler weather.

I'd suggest contacting MAS customer support - I e-mailed them with similar questions about a year ago and they were very helpful with the producet/temperature requirements.  I believe they said that the cure with the slow hardener would be OK down to 30 degrees, but it would take a long time to cure.  Definitely good to check with them directly though.

Thanks Kathy. I went to their tech help site and they have a chart with different cures and temperatures. Down to 41 degrees the slow cure is not recommended and the fast will fully cure in about 8 days, which is ok by me as long as it cures. Will take longer dipping into the 30's at night but time is not important. Seems 2 weeks should be enought for a full cure. Thanks for the help.

Hey Fish...  I have had that situation before and what I used was a woman's hair dryer.  A heat gun puts out to much heat and, in the long run, will weaken the bond. 

First, expose the area and warm it up with the hair dryer. 

Then apply the epoxy NOT changing the mixing ratio!!!!

Then apply heat (hot air) to the areas for no more than 45 seconds.

Remove the heat and allow to "cool" for 5 or so minutes.

Then apply hot air again, again for NO MORE than 45 seconds.

Repete this process several times and it will allow the epoxy to begin the curing process.  After a while, it will cure to the touch and, after that, use the manfacture's guide as to how many days they suggest.  In my sutuations, I have been able to sand & "work" the area the following day, knowing it was NOT fully cured but well on it's way.   Good luck...   ~TUGBRUCE~ 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.