Getting ready for the Wood Duck Kit

I am setting up my work shop in the garage and need to heat the area for a winter in Michigan project.  I am considering hanging heat lamps above the work bench.  I am looking at the aluminum reflector lamps with heat lamp bulbs of 125 watt or 250 watt heat lights.  Anyone have any experience with winter builds and heating the work area?

Thanks

Rod Jenkins

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Getting ready for the Wood Duck Kit

I put plastic across the garage door and seal the gap. I use a oil filled electric heater which brings the garage up to 68 degrees. costs pennies to run and keeps the work area warm.  Just a suggestion. good luck

Here's some photos of the tent I built (at bottom of page).  Worked well with 3 heat lamps when not too cold, added a small fan-equiped heater under it when sub freezing:

http://www.westcoastpaddler.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3517

Kathy

I like your heat lamp and tent set up.  I have been looking at bulbs and lamps.  What wattage did you use and are the bulbs actual heat lamps or just high watt incandescent bulbs?  Are the lamps just standard lamps from a hardware store?  I have the work bench setup in the garage(2 24 inch hollow core doors butted end to end on saw horses) and I am currently hanging plastic sheets for walls to make an area 7 feet by 14 feet for my work area, less space to heat.

Thanks,

Rod

Hi Rod,

I went out and checked and I used normal incandescent 100-watt bulbs in my setup.  I'm sure heat lamps would have worked even better, but I sometimes left them on overnight unattended while waiting for an epoxy cure and I didn't want to worry that I'd burn the house down while we were sleeping (a house in our neighborhood had a fire from a heat lamp in a reptile cage that got knocked over by the cat).

Kathy  

Thanks to all for the great ideas.  I built a plastic sheet enclosure around my work bench(2 interior doors end to end on saw horses). I hung two reflector lights in the tent and got 63 degrees with 150 watt regular incandescent bulbs.  The outside temp this morning was 28 degrees.

I am good to go!!  Wood Duck kit should arrive tomorrow!  Can't wait!

Rod

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.