Clamps

The recent post on FILLETS prompted me to share my incremental advancement in the field: BULLDOG CLIPS!

I used a lot of medium and largebulldog clips to supplement clamps when building my wood duck. Large clips are big enough to clamp a coaming in place and you squeeze a lot more in than clamps, where the handles start to get in the way. And they're cheap!

9 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Clamps

I have several questions.

Isn't the epoxy bad tasting?  How do you keep from getting teeth marks in the plywood?  Where do you get enough small bulldogs to clamp the whole length of the fillet?  How do you keep them from fighting before you position them?  If you mess up the alingment how do you get them to let go so you can reposition?

What do you do with 20 bulldogs once the job is done?  They won't all fit in a kayak?

Just my 2 cents of kibble worth.

Ed

I never knew they were called that, learned something new for the day !

Ron 

Hey Green.  I,too, had never heard them called that.  I'm saving up to purchase MY Wood Duck 12, hopefuilly sooner than later, (Just ordered the instruction booklet today),  Although I have over two hundred conventual clamps, I like your idea of the bulldog type.  THANK you for the tip !!!!!   ~BRUCE~

Greenman

My Wood Duck 12  kit should arrive in a week or so and am interested in your bull dog clips.  The largest I can find are one inch capacity are those the ones you used?

Thanks

Rod Jenkins

I used binder clips to let me glue all the hatch pieces together at once on my WD12. Click on thumbnail for larger picture.

Laszlo

Alls I know is, you can't get enough clamps.

It's like heroin, but with clamps.

Mmmmm. Clamps.

Alls I know is, you can't get enough clamps.

It's like heroin, but with clamps.

Mmmmm. Clamps.

Rod - I use a mix of 3/8", 5/8" and 1" clips (small, medium and large), much like Lazslo's picture but probably with more clips than clamps.

I have used clamps made by sawing sections of 3" and 4" pvc pipe which are then cut so they open to form the jaws of a clamp.  By varying the width of the section cut you can make stronger or weaker clamps.  Cheap and effective!

Was this a tip I got from CLC or this Forum ?

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.