wood duck fiberglass outside seam

do you fiberglass the outside seam where the deck and hull meet?  when you fiberglass the top maybe?

or do you use fibeglass tape? or nothing?? 

8 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: wood duck fiberglass outside seam

That gets glassed when the outside deck glass is applied.

Laszlo

I had the same question with the Chesapeake 17 I am building. So do I asume that I allow the glass to overlap the side a little bit? How much? I assume that overlap seam can be sanded flush during the three coats of epoxy?

For photos and description of a neat and easy way to do this, check out my Ganymede page at http://twofootartist.com/ganymede-construction-notes/
Scroll down to the April 16, 2010 entry. -Wes

I too used the painter's tape 2" down on the hull when glassing the deck on my WD12... worked brilliantly, thanks Laszlo & Wes  And yes, it will 100% disappear.

Paddle Safe

Dale,

As David says, a 2" overlap is good. It gives a generous margin which resists peeling and contributes significantly to holding the deck onto the hull.

I found that it works better to wet out the glass, do the trimming and sanding and then fill the weave. That way you deal with a thinner edge, are not applying epoxy just to sand it off again and the fill coats help fair the edge.

Have fun,

Laszlo

Thanks all! Description is/was great but the pictures tell it all.

Dale

i just used this technique with blue painters tape on my wife's SW16h when glassing the deck this morning. I trimmed it off with a sharp razor knife while pulling the tape. The epoxy was still a bit soft...this worked great!

Dan 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.