Paddle Surface Area - 5'10", 160 lbs. with 17" Chesapeake

Have a used Chesapeake but no paddle yet. Looking at the Aqua Bound line & wondering if someone my height with this boat's beam would require a longer & larger surface area paddle vs. so I wouldn't have to position the paddle too vertically.

New to kayaking, if you hadn't guessed.

Thanks.

Bob

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Paddle Surface Area - 5'10", 160 lbs. with 17" Chesapeake

Bob, I'm assuming you have a C17 with a 24" beam. With a low angle stroke you'll need about a 220 cm Eagle ray or Sting Ray from Aqua Bound. I think they make a 230cm but that may be too long. I'd try before you buy. SEEYA Jack

Bob - Like jacknlin said, try before you buy if possible.  Paddle selection is very personal.  I'm 5'11" 165lb, and in a 22" boat paddling with a very high angle stroke, I like a 210cm with a very large face (Werner Coryvrekken - the Manta Ray is Aquabound's closest model but somewhat less aggressive).  I carry a 230cm Aquabound Eagle Ray in carbon fiber as a spare and for high winds.  It's really too long for my boat, but would be perfect for a 24" boat with a higher shear like your C17 (assuming you use a low angle stroke).  If you want a high angle paddle with some power, the 220cm Manta Ray from Aquabound would be a good choice.  If you're not an athlete or more interested in casual paddling, Aquabound's Stingray is a good middle-range option - if you're an athlete, it may leave you wishing for more bite later on.  Whatever you get, it's worth spending a little extra for a lighter paddle.  Aquabound's paddles with carbon shafts and plastic blades (they call is "Carbon ABX") are a VERY good value.  The wieght/price is very much worth it even if you only paddle occassionally. 

-Zach

Jack & Zack,

Many thanks for the info. I'm an informed buyer now !

Bob

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.